Security of docked vessels

Does the ship maintain a security watch at the gangway while the vessel is docked in the various cities? Are vendors that supply the vessel vetted so as to reduce the opportunity for an outside actor to do harm to the vessel or its occupants?

Comments

• Can't answer the second question. That would be a function of the company Scylla that Tauck contracts with for the ship and all shipboard operations.

As to security on the gangway, no generally not. There is staff always at the front reception desk thru which everyone passes getting on or off the ship. I never saw anyone who looked like a security guard.

Not to alarm you, but there is also the chance that your ship may be double or triple stacked alongside another river cruise ship (Tauck or one of the other companies like Viking, AMA, etc). The reception areas & entrance doors line up so that passengers just walk straight thru until they reach the gangplank to the riverside.

You room is always locked and you either have your room keycard with you or you leave it with reception when going ashore. That way they know who isn't on board.
  • So you are saying that Tauck has no requirement for a security plan for these vessels. In light of the hatred for Americans and anything american, do you believe this is wise? These vessels are incredibly soft targets.
  • We were on the MS Inspire on the Rhine and Moselle cruise this past June. We needed our room key to enter any outside door even the doors that gave access to the outside decks. There was always someone at the main door when we entered. Our room was always locked as was the French balcony door and of course all valuables and passports should be stored in the in-room safe. Also I think that after a few days, the crew starts recognizing passengers. I never felt unsafe.
  • So you are saying that Tauck has no requirement for a security plan for these vessels. In light of the hatred for Americans and anything american, do you believe this is wise? These vessels are incredibly soft targets.
    As Claudia has already said, that's not something we, as Tauck guests, are privy to. And that really is the point of security, don't you think? Why would Tauck broadcast their protocols on a forum such a this? You also presume that only Americans travel on Tauck river boats. And that riverboat staff, regardless of their nationality, are somehow expendable. I can assure you that their lives, mine and any other lives on board, are all valuable.

Yes, indeed, some things are soft targets. But you don't need to leave your home country to become a soft target. I always feel a sigh of relief when I leave some countries. But it's not going to stop me learning about the world and discovering where the good is in all nationalities.

Don't know about a security plan. And sadly, all "westerners" are targets these days. Most of the sights you'll be visiting are also "soft targets".

You can drive yourself nuts thinking about it. I worried about this a bit before booking our first Tauck river cruise. Then finally came to the decision that I wasn't going to live my life in fear and miss out on seeing the places I wanted to see. We're all going to die and its much more likely going to be a car accident while on a routine errand, from cancer/heart disease, etc. than a terrorist attack.

Prudence is one thing, missing out on what life has to offer due to fear is another.

• I suppose their is a first time for a river boat to be attacked or rooms burgled, but right now I have neighbors that won't even leave their own homes to go to the movies. If I get to the point where I am too scared to leave my own home, perhaps I'll get some home grown looney to buy a gun at Walmart and come over and shoot me.
    I am at a loss to understand that anyone would disregard the safety of the workers on the boats, day in day out, as if their lives don't matter but an American Tauck travelers's life does.
  • edited August 2015
    Does the ship maintain a security watch at the gangway while the vessel is docked in the various cities? Are vendors that supply the vessel vetted so as to reduce the opportunity for an outside actor to do harm to the vessel or its occupants?

Do you have the same concerns when you stay in a hotel overseas? Or, at least in Europe where the majority of the Tauck river cruises (especially for the trip in this thread) take place? Yes, the ships are "soft-targets" as are the hotels, restaurants, shops, theaters, etc. which you probably visit without a second thought. The fact these are ships is, perhaps, misleading. You can't highjack a river cruise boat and sail it to some safe haven while demanding ransom. While you could conceivably sink a river cruise boat, much of the travel is in man-made channels that are quite shallow...the top deck would most likely be above water.

There is a comparable level of security on board the river cruise ships as you'll find in a hotel in the same region.

I have, professionally, some insight into security and if you are highly concerned about the situation, I'd suggest another tour since this may weigh heavily on your mind.
  • As someone who also has vast experience in infrastructure security and defense as well as seeing the results of the terrorist actions in Rome's airport in 1974, I was curious as to whether any precautions are being taken.
  • edited August 2015
    As someone who also has vast experience in infrastructure security and defense as well as seeing the results of the terrorist actions in Rome's airport in 1974, I was curious as to whether any precautions are being taken.

I understand your perspective. I guess my bottom line point is that its a big world with lots of soft targets of which river cruise boats don't stand out any more, IMHO, than the other venues I mentioned. Attacking a large public facility like an airport or a subway system guarantees a lot of media attention which they seek. River cruise ships are pretty low profile and there are a lot of them.

My advice is to relax and enjoy the Christmas Markets. And drink plenty of Gluhwein!

I figure that every time I leave the Washington metro area, my security improves.
  • Heck Portolan, that's just because you won't get killed by the local drivers - says a veteran of 10 years commuting from Springfield, VA.
  • I have often wondered, when I have been travelling with Tauck in the States, how many crazies out there are carrying. Concealed or otherwise. And that's just the other passengers. It scares me witless … every second I am in the US … but I try very hard to keep some perspective. I could be run over by a bus at home! No need to quote your constitution at me. I know exactly what it says … and what the Founding Fathers meant when they wrote it. And yes, I consider very carefully where in the world I travel with Tauck. For some places it would just not be prudent for a non-US citizen to put themselves in harm's way … by being surrounded by a group of obvious American tourists.

I remember Rome 1974. I remember Kent State and Sandy Hook, too. Sadly, there are crazies and evil people everywhere. That doesn't mean everyone is crazy or evil.

If you don't feel comfortable away from your home, that's probably how you will always feel. You are quite entitled to your view and I wouldn't presume to influence you. But perhaps it might be best for you to stay within your comfort zone.
  • Security is seldom visible on ships, nor talked about. On one cruise we were dining with the Captain, and I asked, "Captain, just curious, have you got a "noise canon" on board?" He said, "Yes, and it works very well."
  • Sealord wrote:
    Security is seldom visible on ships, nor talked about. On one cruise we were dining with the Captain, and I asked, "Captain, just curious, have you got a "noise canon" on board?" He said, "Yes, and it works very well."
    I've "heard" about these. I hope I never actually hear one!
  • jdurkin wrote:
    I remember Rome 1974. I remember Kent State and Sandy Hook, too. Sadly, there are crazies and evil people everywhere. That doesn't mean everyone is crazy or evil.

If you don't feel comfortable away from your home, that's probably how you will always feel. You are quite entitled to your view and I wouldn't presume to influence you. But perhaps it might be best for you to stay within your comfort zone.

That's the heart of it, right there.

I live about 3 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School -- only reason my youngest wasn't there on the fateful day is that there is a town line between my house and the school -- it is actually closer to my house than the school she did attend. This is white collar, small town, upper income suburbia in CT. There is virtually no crime here, the median household income is around $100K, and the average home price is around $600K. That's part of why I live here. Look what happened.

There is risk in everything we do. The risk may be greater or lesser depending on any number of factors, and in the end each person must make their own mind up as to what they consider to be an "acceptable" level of risk. But regardless of the risk level, there are no guarantees in life. (See Sandy Hook.) Personally, I don't think I would travel to Egypt or Indonesia or several other places right now. A river cruise in Europe? Not even worried. But that's just where I draw my line -- everyone needs to make their own decisions.
  • Thanks for this very moving and helpful philosophy that puts everything in perspective far more eloquently than I can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file