packing for sa elegant adventure tour

hi all- we are leaving on the sept trip-any specific recommendations for clothing packing? based on rsj latest comments , i don't think i will be taking a sports jacket.

re adapaters, they only allow the plugs to work so won't we still need a transformer for us devices (except apple)?


  • What specifically are your devices. Modern cameras, iPads, notebooks even travel hairdryers don't need transformers, though they may need to turn the dial or screw on the hairdryer. Most people only have trouble with curling tongs, so it's best to just avoid those, I have never used ones in foreign countries but a well travelled friend has and blown fuses on whole hotel floors. I've been on the SA tour and many other countries that have 220 to 240 electricity, never used a a transformer and I am still alive! I think!
  • edited August 2015

    Almost all modern electronic devices (laptops, tablets, camera battery chargers, electric shavers, cell phones, etc., etc. but NOTstandard US hairdryers or curling irons) are dual voltage- they work on both US 110 volts and rest of the world 220 volts. No converter is needed.

    Look closely at the writing on the power supply (wall wort or power cord module) or on the device itself if it has an internal power supply, to confirm this. (Unless you are using a no-name power supply not specifically made for your device, you don't need to worry about the input current which is expressed in amps (A) or watts (W or VA)


    iPad and iPhone: "Input: 100-240V, .45A, 50-60Hz" which means it will operate on any voltage between 100 and 240. (other info is .45 Amps- current draw and AC (alternating current) line frequency- 60 Hz in US 50 Hz elsewhere) (My iPhone only draws .15 amps)

    Acer Laptop cord transformer module: "Input: 100-240V, 1.6, 50-60Hz"

    Braun Electric shaver: "Input: 100-240V AC , 50-60Hz/7W"

    Canon digital camera battery charger: "Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 12VA (100V) - 16.8 VA (240V)"

    Be careful about your selection of adapters- South Africa seems to be the odd man out, though many places will have multiple outlet configurations.

    Also, if you have a number of devices that may need charging at the same time, you might consider getting a travel power strip like the one below. All you need to do is insert your adapter into the wall outlet, then plug the power strip into the adapter. Remember, your power strip will now be supplying the same voltage as the wall outlet. In addition to 3 or more electrical outlets, some power strips even come with one or more low voltage USB charging ports.


Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file