Options

compression socks for flying

My doctor has suggested I get a pair of TED Hose (compression socks) for my long flight to Kenya and Tanzania this May. I just saw a website for something called Zip Socks, these socks zip, rather than being pulled on. Has anyone tried them?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    First up, I haven't worn this type of compression sock, but since I live in Melbourne, almost all my flights are long haul flights and I always wear the pull on variety. They are designed to be tight ... and since I wear them for many hours at a time... 18, 20++, I think anything with a zip would be soooo annoying and possibly quite painful. I can't see that zip mechanism being very comfortable at all!

Just my 10c worth. I'm sure there are others out there with the opposite opinion to me. Possibly just because! ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I have no idea if you are male of female, but I would think the zipper might be a bit of a hair puller for makes.....or female East German weight lifters.
  • Options
    My doctor also suggested compression socks for long haul flight. I ordered Travelsox from Amazon. They seem like they will do the job. There are many "reviews" so you could read them and make a decision.
  • Options
    After a San Francisco flight to Melbourne where my feet swelled up so much that I could only wear flip flops for three days, I invested in a pair of compression socks! Best investment I ever made at a Melbourne department store! They actually look like a nice pair of trouser socks, and I slip them on after I get settled in my seat. I have NEVER had a problem since I began using them nine years ago, and I have traveled many, many miles at a time! My husband, a more recent convert, swears by them! Mine are quite tight (I actually brought them back in Australia, but the sales lady explained that that was the purpose), but are not uncomfortable during a flight time (think 30 hours total returning from Africa). Personally, I would think zippers would be problematic as they would be bumpy unless the zip track ran along the shin...then again, that would rub on bone...go for the regular old compression socks. And, do not go cheap!! Mine were about $30 nine years ago, and they have many miles on them! Check out Magellan or Travelsmith web sites to find a suitable pair. Best travel investment you will EVER make!
  • Options
    Thank you to all who replied. You've sent me in the right direction. I've been researching the socks suggested and realize (from the comments made on line by those who have purchased them) that a reoccurring theme was the need for more room in the calf. I do have a wide calf and will need to research some more before getting a pair. I appreciate the thoughts about the possible discomfort of the zipper...it's my large calf which made me think it was a good idea, but discomfort is not what I want on my flight from Denver for the Kenya/Tanzania trip on May 13th. Fortunately I have time to find the right sock. While flying business class in each direction, I was told to put these socks on the top of my shopping list by my doctor. I am female...some comments made on the websites had people buying men's socks and adjusting the size, others commented about the foot part of the sock being too large (I wear a US8). I'm not sure if size adjustment works well or not as I've never purchased anything made for men (for myself). Any additional thoughts my fellow Tauck travelers have will be appreciated.
  • Options
    As I said earlier, I always wear the pull up socks when I fly. My travelling shoes are "comfortable" flats, (Eco mary janes) rather than high fashion and possibly tight. Consequently, I don't have any issues with shoe sizes. I'd describe the socks as being as thick as opaque tights .. say 60/90 denier. I find that even though I have little feet, the sock's design (with an "uncompressed", thinner & looser section at the toe which just sort of scrunches around my toes) doesn't make any difference to the fit. The important thing is to get your heel into the heel of the sock. As for comfort at the calf ... the tight elastic nature of the sock just copes. I'm pretty sure a zip would be much more uncomfortable on your leg than the pull up kind. Good luck. They are definitely a must have, must wear for long haul travel.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Not to steal this thread, but, since the topic is socks (how exciting! :) ). . . . and a few previous Africa travelers have been participating . . . .

Knowing that it is forbidden or heavily frowned upon to stand on the seats of the game drive "Toyotas" while wearing shoes, did any of you who have taken safaris feel a need to wear "non-slip" socks so you (your socks) wouldn't slip while standing on the seats viewing or taking photos of animals? Regardless of your response, what kind of socks did you wear on safari?
  • Options
    I've been following this thread with interest since I plan on using compression socks on my next long flight. Had never heard of the zipper version. For reviews, you might try looking on Amazon. They have several types listed for sale. One version has over a hundred reviews (3 1/2 star overall - meh) and 12 answered questions. Some seemed to love them, but just about as many with problems.

• Options
    Disclaimer: I am not an aviation or aerospace medical professional. It is a long time since I've have intimate knowledge of US citizens' legs or feet. I am Australian. However, I do possess my own set of working legs and feet and do take long haul (7+ hours) flights regularly. I always wear compression socks, sourced, as it happens, over the counter in Melbourne. My qualifications in this matter obviously render my opinion quite inadequate to comment. Mea maxima culpa.

Feel free, Allan. One can find knowledge in all sorts of unlikely places, and quite often, off piste.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi Alan,
    About "safari socks"....We used mostly ankle socks...some darker golf socks and some low hiking socks from REI (gray colors for both). I was concerned about dust/dirt so steered away from anything white. You will not slip off the seats while standing. A far greater problem is being thrown off the seat if your driver does a sudden move to get you into a better viewing position. But, the drivers are phenomenal and always give you a "heads up"!
  • Options
    Aw, gee whiz. I wish I could draw ... What a picture!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Compression socks-- I have worn these on long haul trips, well anything over about 3 hours for years. My husband and i bought them from Magellans on line, his and hers. I believe there was some kind of deal if you bought more than one pair. So we have two pairs each. These socks are indeed very tight, but they need to be to do the job they are designed for. They should be your correct size. The trick is to roll them up so that they just go over your toes and then gradually unroll up your legs ensuring they produce a smooth even pressure over your leg and the sock should cover all the calf and end just under your knee bone. It's often best to put them on as soon as you get out of bed, especially if you are prone to any leg swelling. Just in case some readers do not understand the purpose of wearing compression socks, it is to prevent deep vein thrombosis in the legs, the calfs. The common name on flights being 'Coach Class Syndrome' but even those 'first class' travelers can get it. If you get a DVT there is a real chance the clot could break off and travel to the lungs and it is goodbye life. What many people do not realize is that you can get a DVT from flying up to almost three weeks after you fly! It's quite 'common' after flights to Australia. I personally find that it does not prevent my legs swelling after I take the socks off and for days afterwards. But the moving around and hydration once you return to earth help with blood circulation that is compromised up in hte air. On my Australia trip, I did not see my shapely ankles until about the day before we were due to fly home. I kept looking down at elephant ankles and it was most alarming. Travelers might also want to check with their doctors to see if they recommend a course of baby aspirin--- 81 mgs dose starting a couple of days before your trip and up to 2 weeks after you return. This can be a controversial issue, depends on your health history and needs careful discussion with your doctor. Oh, and my young very fit neighbor who travelled to England frequently for business got a DVT and didn't Hilary Clinton get one after travel?
    Safari socks-- I would say exactly as Joyce recommends
  • Options
    Hope you had a good flight, British. Kia ora to you both.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    So you guessed where we are, having great fun here!
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    As I said earlier, I always wear the pull up socks when I fly. My travelling shoes are "comfortable" flats, (Eco mary janes) rather than high fashion and possibly tight. Consequently, I don't have any issues with shoe sizes. I'd describe the socks as being as thick as opaque tights .. say 60/90 denier. I find that even though I have little feet, the sock's design (with an "uncompressed", thinner & looser section at the toe which just sort of scrunches around my toes) doesn't make any difference to the fit. The important thing is to get your heel into the heel of the sock. As for comfort at the calf ... the tight elastic nature of the sock just copes. I'm pretty sure a zip would be much more uncomfortable on your leg than the pull up kind. Good luck. They are definitely a must have, must wear for long haul travel.

Cheers,

Jan

I have worn compression stockings by PRESCRIPTION since 1994. If your insurance will cover these, it is easy enough to get a doctor to write your a prescription. Mine run about $100 a pair. There in NOTHING that you can buy OTC that comes close. I had shoulder surgery this winter, and thought, since I was home-bound anyway, that I would try the zip-on ones, since getting the others on/off is a wrestling match. They were HIDEOUS - and the zipper let go in 5 minutes. The compression was feeble - I returned them. So I bought a "stocking donner" device to use for a couple of weeks with my regular stockings. Once you are taught HOW to get these on - and yes, getting the HEEL into place is the key - then you smooth them evenly onto your legs, and they feel GREAT - and prevent swelling. Get the kind with the silicone dots or bands to help them stay up and lie flat - if they ROLL - they cut in, and that cuts off blood flow. (This beats using Body Glue - the stuff that J-Lo uses to keep her *girls* from falling out of those skimpy dresses.) Check periodically to make sure that there is not a crease near your ankle - you will not always FEEL it, but having it cut into you THERE is serious. I also wear Drew shoes, with "double depth" for the toes - lotsa wiggle room! And - I also take Coumadin by prescription. You might want to ask your doctor about baby aspirin. And get up and WALK on that plane!!!
  • Options
    Never worn compression socks before, I've always found a brisk walk up and down the cabin helps tremendously. I would also recommend never buying the zip socks as they feel bloody strange and are very uncomfortable, but that's just me.