Clothing requirements?

We are traveling on this itinerary beginning May 21-June 3. We've travelled with Tauck 3 times previous but I have a few questions for this trip.

1) Is it mandatory for my husband to bring a sport coat for group evening dinners (tie optional)? Or, is a LS,collared,button down shirt acceptable?
2) Regarding evening wear for women, would this imply a Business Casual form of dress?
3) Money...rather than exchanging a lot of dollars for pounds at the US airport, is it easy to just exchange at the hotels we are staying in as needed? (I understand that Ireland is on the Euro and already have Euros left over from a previous trip.)

Thank you. Roxanne

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Rox wrote:
    We are traveling on this itinerary beginning May 21-June 3. We've travelled with Tauck 3 times previous but I have a few questions for this trip.

1) Is it mandatory for my husband to bring a sport coat for group evening dinners (tie optional)? Or, is a LS,collared,button down shirt acceptable?
    2) Regarding evening wear for women, would this imply a Business Casual form of dress?
    3) Money...rather than exchanging a lot of dollars for pounds at the US airport, is it easy to just exchange at the hotels we are staying in as needed? (I understand that Ireland is on the Euro and already have Euros left over from a previous trip.)

Thank you. Roxanne

1) No! Whatever he is comfortable with. Some men will wear each of the various attire you mention, even short sleeve golf shirts to the welcome, farewell and special dinners, but most dinners are casual. At least one man will be wearing a suit and tie at least once! Typically no shorts, and no T-shirts or wife-beaters :) .

2) The same goes for the women, except more of them will want to dress up a bit more than most men. For the welcome, farewell, and special dinners they will wear Business casual, cocktail party casual, but many just wear nice slacks/blouse/sweater and maybe accessorize them with scarves, etc. because they pack better than dresses or skirts. Typically, no 'Daisy Dukes', no halters, etc. : )

3) Many (most?) hotels will not change money and if they do, it will be small denominations and not at the best exchange rate. There may be exceptions. Since they use different currency- the Euro (€)) in Ireland and the GBP or Pound Sterling (£) in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England, it is best to get foreign currency at an ATM where you will get the most current exchange rate (but NOT at a money exchange!). Get Euros when you arrive at Shannon airport, at an ATM, for the first part of your trip. Then get additional funds (and other currency), again, at ATMs, along the way. If you change drivers, or even if you don't, you can unload any excess Euros by using it to tip him. You can even mix and match currency- it all spends the same. We've been on E,S,W, are taking The Best of Ireland this summer, but haven't been on Ireland & Great Britain, so I don't know if you change drivers or where. Even so, he'll gladly accept whatever you give him!

In general, there are not too many places that do not take credit cards. That is the best way to pay, especially if your bank doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file