Packing

Looking for feed back on what is considered proper attire for evenings? Trying not to over pack. We are on the Sept. 21-October 4th Classic Italy trip. We have never been to Europe before. We are under the impression that shorts would be good for during the day. I'm unsure about evenings. Do men need suit coats every night? I was thinking the first and last, but what about evenings in between? Is a short sleeve dress shirt and slacks ok? Do women wear dresses every night or are slacks and a blouse acceptable? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• I have not done this particular tour, but have been to Europe many times. The Tauck laid on dinners tend to be in nicer places and Italians, like many Europeans, tend to dress a bit more in the evening. That being said, I think you can likely get away with nice trousers and shirt. Shorts during the day could be a problem in going into churches. Often they are quite sticky about knees being covered both male and female.
  • My husband has flatly refused to take a jacket. He plans to wear slacks and a shirt for all the dinners. In looking at the itinerary, there will probably be a few days were he can get away with shorts but other days he'll wear slacks. For daytime, I'm taking tops and crop pants. I'm trying to decide between dressy slacks and top or a dress for dinners. I'll probably go with the slacks/top.

Effie
  • edited August 2016
    Boy, have things changed since we first began traveling many years ago! Gone are the sport jackets and ties, heels and dressy dresses! While Europeans always seem to be very well dressed (no backwards baseball caps and cargo shorts), there is not a formality to it. My husband put away the jacket somewhere around 2005 and now wears a long sleeve button down woven shirt and slacks (not chinos), and I favor slacks, a variety of blouse/ tops and dressier flats. If the climate is tropical, I might throw in a light dress or skirt but only if they can be worn multiple times and take up very little room. And, by the way, noting gets packed that is not worn at least two times or more, depending on the length of the trip. And, yes, I do make a clothing chart so I do not start throwing my favorite things in the suitcase and end up only wearing half of them and being forever frustrated about an overloaded, messy suitcase!
  • My husband and I took this tour in 2005 (our first Tauck tour) at exactly the same time of year as yours. The weather for the most part was glorious. Absolutely perfect. The exception was San Gimignano where it was pouring and freezing cold. Virtually everybody on our tour made a beeline for a store that had jackets and sweaters as soon as we got off the bus. Hopefully you will have a beautiful sunny day when you visit -- but if I were to do this tour again -- I would have a sweater with me to throw on under a light hooded rain jacket (which I always bring.) The weather we ran into was not predicted. Better safe than sorry.

As far as jackets for men.... Looking at our pictures -- most men wore a jacket at the farewell dinner. That said -- our trip was almost 11 years ago -- and we have found that dress has gotten more casual overall at the welcome and farewell dinners on our many Tauck tours since then.
  • Joyce -- you and I were posting at the same time -- and have had the same experience with the change in formal dress over the years!
  • I take one pair of dress pants or nice capri with 3or4 nice shirts. For Italy I sometimes have taken 1 dress. Just remember need to have shoulders and knees covered for shirts.

I did the northern Italy tour end of May to beginning of June and was surprised at how cool it was. I did your tour several years ago early September and the weather was warm.
  • My weakness is shoes. I won't overpack clothes but when it comes to shoes, anything less than a dozen pairs is a real hardship. I'll tone it down but it will take every ounce of will power.
  • Effie wrote:
    My weakness is shoes. I won't overpack clothes but when it comes to shoes, anything less than a dozen pairs is a real hardship. I'll tone it down but it will take every ounce of will power.

I'm a shoeaholic too. Have learned my lesson though. I try very hard to pick outfits that the same shoes can be worn with even if it seems a bit boring. Just remember, every pair you pack is a pound or 2 of souvenirs you won't have room or weight limit for.
  • Limit to 2 pair. One for dress and one for everyday. No one will say oh what great shoes. I take a 21 inch, usually around 35 lbs. I stopped a few years ago from taking 50 lbs. I nd to be able to lift my suitcase. I, also, do a nice carry one for any excess.
  • Effie and Claudia,
    Hah! Now the confessions begin! I, too, am a shoeaholic and would love to pack as many pair as possible (12 is a bit much, Effie, but I could easily rise to the occasion). While it does depend on the time of year and climate of the trip, I try to limit it to about 5 pair...sandals, dressier, 2 flat-types and a pair of slip on Skechers (athletic-type). I find that when I buy shoes, with travel in mind, I am very mindful of weight and packability and reject those heavy clunkers! In fact, if I am torn between taking two pair, the kitchen scale comes out and whichever is lighter wins the trip!! And, I confess, when I am planning outfits to take, I always begin with shoes and work my way up...a bit OCD, well, of course! But, it works for me, and I can keep my luggage weight between 35 and 40 pounds for 3 + weeks away. Sorry, Crackers, I REALLY admire your ability to reject overpacking, but there is NO WAY I could get away with only two pair as my feet just don't function well when I wear the same pair two days in a row.
    Brady333... We have done the Classic Italy trip twice, once in July and once in August. This, also, was our first trip to Europe! It is a wonderful introduction to travel, and you could not have picked a better inaugural trip! We liked it so much the first time, we took our sons on the same trip a few years later. Weather? Hot, hot, hot both times!! It is a wonderful trip! Did I mention it was hot in the summer??? I think you have picked a good time weather-wise.
    Joyce
  • I think I managed 4 pairs for a 2 wk Rhine Moselle cruise plus extra days on both ends. One pair of lace up walkers, 1 pair of Vionic clogs, 1 pair leather flats, and 1 pair of heeled dressy shoes. Its the heel height that gives me the most "decision" problems. For dress slacks and dresses I want higher heels, but the rest of the time not so much.
  • edited August 2016
    We got back from Classic Italy, Small Groups at the beginning of June, 2016.

The weather was nice- warm but not hot, and only cool a couple of evenings. A light jacket or wind breaker is all that is needed. We had very light rain one morning, was gone by 1030. Umbrella or rain jacket was all that was needed.

Shorts- be careful about this one. This tour is often referred to as the "ABC" tour- Another Beautiful Church tour- you visit at least one in every town on the tour. I don't know which ones besides the Vatican will not allow you to enter wearing shorts (or sleeveless blouse), but I wouldn't test it. Better safe than sorry and also a sign of respect.

Jacket for men- he can probably get away without one- just wear nice shirt. I typically wear a jacket or blazer and wear it at the welcome and farewell dinner. We also just returned from the Best of Ireland yesterday. Jackets are required in a few of the hotel restaurants (you don't have to eat in those, there are alternatives). I wore my blazer on 3 or 4 occasions, my tie twice. At least 1/3 or more of the men wore jackets as well at one or more restaurants.
  • Totally agree with AlanS. I am, however, less concerned about the welcome and farewell dinners since so far they have been "closed events" and although very nice I am far less concerned about a jacket at these dinners than some of the others. I rarely wear shorts in Europe.
  • edited August 2016
    Alan is absolutely correct.
    OK, I am old fashioned but I just don't feel dressed without a jacket at dinner time. In short, do whatever makes you feel comfortable - just remember every Tauck tour and event has been engineered very carefully to make sure you enjoy yourself. The last think they would want you to do is feel awkward just because of what you are wearing. I suppose it is up to everyone on the tour to show respect for the other travelers, so in some circumstances there is definitely a case for the right thing in the right place.
  • Richardb wrote:
    Alan is absolutely correct.
    OK, I am old fashioned but I just don't feel dressed without a jacket at dinner time. In short, do whatever makes you feel comfortable - just remember every Tauck tour and event has been engineered very carefully to make sure you enjoy yourself. The last think they would want you to do is feel awkward just because of what you are wearing. I suppose it is up to everyone on the tour to show respect for the other travelers, so in some circumstances there is definitely a case for the right thing in the right place.
    It's not old fashioned -at all- nothing wrong with wearing a jacket for dinner- like you said whatever you are comfortable with - it's a way to honor the occasion and I love to see my husband in his when we have a dinner out- if you feel good in one - go for it! Purely preference!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file