Using Verizon in Italy and Capri trip

I've read that Verizon does not work well in Italy. Any experience with that and is there a basic plan that anyone would deem a good one

Going on the trip beginning Sept. 19 for us (one day early) - plan to use our extra day visiting Capri - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• We also had verizon when we went. We called them prior- two days before we left they turned on international service and it stays on for one month (you pay small fee for the month) and then goes off at designated time. It switches to a european cell company that verizon connects with while you are there but you don't have to do anything- we had no issues at all on the classic italy tour using our smart phones. Hope that helps
  • JAS54 wrote:
    We also had verizon when we went. We called them prior- two days before we left they turned on international service and it stays on for one month (you pay small fee for the month) and then goes off at designated time. It switches to a european cell company that verizon connects with while you are there but you don't have to do anything- we had no issues at all on the classic italy tour using our smart phones. Hope that helps

We do exactly the same using At and t. Most recently a month ago when I went solo to Europe. It has now gone up to $40 a month. We generally don't make phone calls while we are out of the US because of the time difference and Tauck does not allow use of phones during their tour time ( Thank goodness for that!) 6 hour difference East coast time. Last month I wanted to be able to call home, text and use data for google maps and it all worked well. I usually called my husband about 1am London time because I was out late most nights at the theatre, or in a show myself in fact. Generally it is easier to contact the US via email so that one doesn't have to figure out the time in the US. Our family do not expect to hear from us like in the old days when you went on a trip. Today, it is nice to email my daily diary of what we have been up to.
  • Thanks for those two responses - very helpful :)
  • We did Classic Italy in May and used Verizon (with an iPhone) as well. I don't remember if we actually used the phone (probably not), but sent/recvd txt msgs and used data at times mainly to look up restaurants and find them on Google maps. It worked just fine.

The bus had wifi of sorts. I used it with my iPad and Google maps to follow our progress and see which hill town we were passing among the tons that were along the route!! Seems like almost every town in Umbria and Tuscany was a hill town!
  • Thanks - appreciate the info :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file