Shipping warm clothes

We are leaving for the Grand Canadian trip next weekend, and, in light of the clothes layering recommendations, despairing as to how we can fit everything in one suitcase each We wonder if anyone had tried shipping warmer clothes to Jasper or Banff, and then shipping them home before the flight home. Thanks.

Comments

• I am mistified by your concerns, it is not going to be cold on your tour at this time of year. You should have plenty of room in your suitcase for all you need. Check out 'Preparing to Go' then 'Weather' then look at the 10 day forecast for the areas you will be visiting, like Weather.com. Canada is beautiful, it's a great time of year to visit!
  • One way to layer but save on packing is to wear a thin base layer next to your skin. Long or short sleeve knit tees and leggings/made of non-cotton blends that are specially made to keep you warm but also have wicking properties. Cuddleduds and 32 Degrees are 2 brands that we have found work well. Both available on the internet as well as some big box stores like Costco, Target, Kohls. Pair with a wind/water proof jacket, a few long sleeve sweaters or tops and pants.

The base layer items are easily laundered in your bathroom sink and should dry overnight. We did this on a 14 day cruise last fall. I had a couple of pairs of pants laundered by the ship but otherwise we got everything we needed in our checked bags.

Most of the hotels have laundry services. They can be pricey, but bound to be cheaper than shipping costs.

Also, don't fall victim to the thinking most of us have on our first trip. Unless your clothes get soiled, you can repeat outfits multiple times. No one cares. You don't need a bunch of fancy dress choices either.

Relax, have fun.
  • You don't say where you are travelling from, Melanie, but I do agree with the previous two responses. If you are coming from somewhere hot, then I suggest you will find the air "fresh", but otherwise just an additional jumper or jacket will be fine. We did this tour from the UK a few years ago and at this time of year you should be fine. As Claudia says, it is not a fashion show so just be practical and comfortable with minimum of effort. You are not going to the arctic, just up a bit higher for a few hours, so you don't need thick Parka's, padded trousers or snow goggles. Do read the information given about temperatures, they are amazingly helpful.
    Enjoy this wonderful trip.
  • Hello Richard, Hello Melanie. Richard is British and a frequent Tauck travellers who gives great advice . Just to clarify, when Richard mentions 'jumper' that's the British equivalent of a 'sweater'. Richard, a jumper in the US is something like a gym slip or pinafore dress.
    The funniest yet most alarming difference in the naming of clothing here in the US that I have come across is a 'wife beater' ----a sleeveless man's t shirt!
  • Of course we also have the "panties" vs "knickers" debate.
  • Oops! Sorry for using the incorrect terminology.
    I remember when we were on a Tauck tour in the USA that some children got in the same lift (sorry, elevator) as us and decided that we came from England so pronounced "... you call trash cans dustbins....". I have no idea what prompted such a comment, but needless to say my retort was "....No, you call dustbins trash cans....". It is moments like this which stick in Tauck experiences.
    It has always seemed strange to me that as so many early settlers to the USA sailed across from England that they did not take many of our basic words with them. I have to say, though, that many of the words and phrases I hear from our many acquaintances on Tauck trips are eminently more suitable than the English equivalent. We always enjoy those moments especially because we are often the only English tourists on a fundamentally US tour - always good for some good humoured banter.
  • After twenty years in the US, i am still coming out with words and expressions that confound people or make them laugh like ' blimey' Recently, my daughter's college room mate was at a family gathering and she said she loved the way I used to call her 'Petal' but I never use that term of endearment now. The hardest thing to think about is when I am asked my birthday or even reading dates, I have to make a mental switch because the month comes before the day, it's so easy to confuse myself. The same with parts of a car, trunk, hood, tires, muffler, stick shift, gas---that's all the fun of getting out of your own country and seeing others, enjoying the differences of scenery, lifestyle, language, climate, thinking things like ' wish we did it like this' or oh, this is annoying, or thank goodness we don't live like this, or how wonderful to wake up every morning and look out onto this scenery! Or for you Richard to say, I am going to wear my favorite jumper today, and the locals start to look worried!
  • You think you have problems with car parts, I spent 2 yrs in Japan dealing with British driving standards with a Japanese twist - drive on the left and take the British words and add some random vowels to the end. Can you imagine the blank looks from Americans when someone said "bonnetto" meaning what we call the hood of the car. That's on top of cars with required huge fender mounted side mirrors and a love of playing high speed chicken as you wind your way down narrow streets with cars parked on both sides. Proud to say I survived it without a dent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file