February 4th 2017

Hi I am hoping to meet some other fellow travelers for this date in Africa next February.
Judy and Richie
Scottsdale AZ

Comments

• Hi Judy and Richie--

I'll be on the feb 4 Safari and can't wait to see all the magical places we will be visiting. I'll be in Arusha a day early so maybe we can all take a tour of the park before we meet up with the group. All the best from Shelley in Albion, CA!
  • Hi Shelley, So nice to hear from a fellow traveler. We will be spending two extra days at the Duluti Hotel. Since it is winter I did not want to have any weather problems. We are traveling with friends so we are four people. I did want to book a local safari on our own before we meet up with the group. We arrive in Arusha on February 2nd. Let me know when you get there. If you are just two people that would work for getting a guide and vehicle as I believe they accommodate 6 people.
    Judy and Richie
  • edited August 2016
    JudySueS wrote:
    Hi Shelley, So nice to hear from a fellow traveler. We will be spending two extra days at the Duluti Hotel. Since it is winter I did not want to have any weather problems. We are traveling with friends so we are four people. I did want to book a local safari on our own before we meet up with the group. We arrive in Arusha on February 2nd. Let me know when you get there. If you are just two people that would work for getting a guide and vehicle as I believe they accommodate 6 people.
    Judy and Richie

There are several threads on the K&T forum that provide tons of info about pre-tour activities in Arusha- I should know, I posted a fair share of the questions : ) While you may be able to book upon arrival, it is best to book the tour of Arusha National Park through the hotel early, well before you go. We had a brief, minor glitch- at first the front desk acted like they knew nothing about our tour, but I had a copy of the email correspondence with the concierge so everything worked out well. The outfitter (Assilia) that provides driver/guides and vehicles for the hotel was the same one used by Tauck- our driver showed up in a "Tauck" branded, 6 passenger (possibly 7? one riding shotgun?), Toyota safari vehicle. He was also one of our five Tauck safari drivers- all of them were truly fantastic*. Four of us shared the tour- we solicited two others we met through this forum to join us (we had such a bad time that the four of us are headed to Peru and the Galápagos with Tauck in March!).

Just as our Tauck TD said, we didn't see anything in Arusha National Park that we wouldn't see over the next two weeks, but it was a great warm-up and intro to what was ahead- a good chance to get some of the embarrassing oooohhhs and aaahhhhs and big smiles out of the way : ) It also gave us an opportunity to get familiar with the safari vehicles, how to use and carry our cameras, etc. etc. The tour of Arusha National Park was actually better than our first true tour day at Lake Manyara! Don't forget to arrange with the hotel for box lunches.

Ask for Julius (L) or Festo (R):

IMG_1670r.jpg

IMG_1840r.jpg
  • Great information, Alan. I was planning on contacting the hotel and make arrangements with them. I will take your advice and see if either of the two drivers are available. I was wondering if the hotel could do the box lunch.
    Thanks,
    Judy
  • edited August 2016
    The hotel provides the box lunch, no problem.
    I provided a lot of the information originally about the Arusha National Park. We did not book it in advance,we knew we were going to go and asked on arrival. Look for my postings around July/August 2014. I'd like to provide a different opinion here. We actually wanted to do the tour on our own, several reasons. We could chose the time the tour started. We could chose when and where we wanted to spend more time, such as spend extra time photographing a scene or animals. We gave the little museum a miss. And, most important, if you want to take the walking safari and others don't, what are you going to do since it is over two hours---- the road has a one way system, so it is not as if others can go elsewhere. This is the only opportunity to do a walking safari on the entire tour and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Interesting what Alan says about Lake Manyara because I would agree. When we took the Tanzania only tour, which does not tour it but does stop at lodge for a quick lunch,they said there are not many animals there any more, that tour does not do the same itinerary but on the K and T tour, I think it is the only route to do because of what the tour covers. I much preferred the Tanzania/Zanzibar tour.
  • edited August 2016
    JudySue- we had no issues with our group of 4, but having had to 'herd cats' in the past there is something to be said about British's suggestion about keeping your group small. In our group, I was the one that caused us to be late leaving the Lake Duluti- we had to wait for a doctor who got stuck in traffic while bringing me medicine for an injury.

You'll just have to decide whether more control is better than more friends (and lower per-person cost.) We did not do the walk, so can't comment on that.
  • Well at best we would be our group of 4 or add two more if I ever hear from the gal who posted above. My little group is certainly going on this small Arusha Park safari. We are arriving two days early so we will make this happen. Thanks to all of you for your input

Judy
  • Hi Feb 4 tour members! We, too, will be on that trip. We will be arriving the day before the trip starts, so I think we won't be doing any pre-trip activities! Looking forward to meeting you all! Barbara and Phil from Santa Rosa, CA
  • Hi Barbara and Phil,
    Looking forward to meeting you. We are traveling with our friends, Lois and Jim. We are arriving two days early.
    Regards,
    Judy and Richie
    Scottsdale AZ
  • Hi Judy, Richie, and Alan--

Sorry not to post sooner. I am arriving in Arusha in the afternoon of February 3 so you may have all left for the safari. If not, let me know. At any rate, hopefully we can all meet for dinner. My email is shelleymartin@mcn.org for any of you on the February 4 safari that would like a prompt reply! Can't wait to meet all of you in Africa!
  • Hi Shelley,
    We are planning on an all day safari to Arusha park. But we can certainly find each other for dinner at the start of our wonderful adventure.
    Cannot wait
    Judy and Richie
    Scottsdale
  • Three weeks!!! Cannot wait!!!
    Judy and Richie
  • JudySueS wrote:
    Hi Shelley,
    We are planning on an all day safari to Arusha park. But we can certainly find each other for dinner at the start of our wonderful adventure.
    Cannot wait
    Judy and Richie
    Scottsdale

Judy, would love to know who you decided to book all day safari with for arusha natl park. We will be booking one for July, 2017.
  • The hotel itself makes the arrangements. I booked an entire day with a box lunch. I am sure when we get to the Deluti we will find out what is a good time to take off in the morning. I have a printed confirmation from the hotel too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file