Power Adapter/Voltage Converter Needed?

I have checked the Tauck site "know before you go"....this is what is listed for Tanzania Serengeti Trip....

The electrical current in the lodges is 220-240v, 50Hz. Guests whose appliances do not meet this standard may need to bring an electrical converter, with adapter plug set, as few overnight properties have this equipment. The socket configurations vary between the two- and three-pronged varieties so please bring the entire set of adapters with you.

So, if someone wouldn't mind advising me since I am not very good on this topic.....

***Will my standard battery chargers for cameras, iPhone charger, iPad charger, work on this electrical current? OR do I need electrical VOLTAGE CONVERTER for these items?

***I assume I absolutely need a POWER ADAPTER to charge the above items, is that correct?

Comments

• edited January 2017
    You do not need a CONVERTER, just an Adapter. The MONSTER BRAND multiplug power strip mentioned in several of the thread topics on the Tanzania forum reduces the number of outlets you need to find in the room if you want to charge all your mentioned electronics at once. We had no trouble, I'll try to locate my review I posted when we were last there, I think I mentioned outlet details for some of the hotels.
    CB2LABS, SEE POST UNDER PRACTICAL OSERVATIONS I JUST TRIED TO BRING IT TO TOP OF LIST, SEE ABOVE THIS POST I HOPE!
  • Two additional notes-

1. While your electronic and video power modules/chargers should all be dual voltage, please check them to confirm this. The power information should be printed, stamped, etc. (usually very small writing) somewhere on the module and include something like this: "Input: 100 - 240V." (meaning it will operate on any voltage from 100 to 240 volts). If it says 100V only then you will need a converter for that piece of gear.

2. Using a travel power strip like British suggests really helps out if you have multiple devices. Many of us use them and they are relatively inexpensive on Amazon. You can find nice small ones like the Monster brand pictured below with 3 or 4 outlets and a short cord that stows neatly. Some models have built-in USB power ports so you can plug your phone, tablet, camera charger, etc. directly into it without using the power modules.

Big Caution: You must remember, that while it has standard US 110 volt receptacles, once you plug the strip into a 220V outlet (using an adapter), the outlets will be energized with 220V. That will damage or fry any 110V equipment plugged into it.

41qPweKjCgL._SY300_.jpg
  • Thank you AlanS and British! I knew I could count on the two of you for a reply. Information was so helpful on adapter and also various hotels on this tour.....
  • Hello....many universal chargers are available there. It could be that for some or all of your devices you also need a voltage converter, if this is the case, then these are also readily available in electrical stores but are a pain and can be quite bulky.I would just stick with charging in the car for any devices where you don't have voltage conversion built in.
  • Previous poster is a SPAMMER and not a good one at that! Gee, maybe I'll bring a "car" on my next Tauck tour.
  • I’m still confused. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night so having electric is very import. As well as charging our camera batteries and phones. Thanks for any guidance

• edited July 2019

You'll need to read the specifications on the CPAP, i.e. will it operate on 240 volts alternating current (abbreviated 240 VAC)? It should say right on the machine or the power module, if it uses one, and in the manual. If it is 120 volts only, then you will need to bring a converter (a device for converting 240 volts AC to 120 volts AC). The converter must be rated to handle the current draw of the CPAP (current = 1 amp (1A), 2.5 amps (2.5A), etc). Your camera battery and phone chargers should be fine, because most of them operate on dual voltage (100-240v), but to be safe, verify that.

This iPhone/iPad power module works on 100 to 240 volts and draws .45 amps of current. It supplies 5.1 volts at 2.1 amps to the device so it will work just fine with foreign outlets that supply 240 volts once you get a plug adapter.

Here are labels from a charger and a power module that can only be used with 120 volts:

Most of the CPAP chargers that I looked at online, like the one below, appear to be dual voltage- but check yours out.

• Alan S, you are awesome, I tried explaining on the other posting that BKent made. You are just so much better!

• Thank you very much for your response and help.