Travel with Razor question

We are asll really looking forward to our Family Safari in June/July, but I had a question regarding travelling with a Safety Razor and blades on the internal flight at the end of our tour.

I usually need to put the blades in the hold luggage, but was not sure what the policy is regarding blades on the internal flight. Does anyone know if I would be able to have these on that flight, or do I need to plan to bring a catridge razor?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
David

Comments

• Put them in your checked luggage! Or you can carry disposable razors in carry on luggage. Bettter still, grow a beard, who wants to shave at 5am before game drive anyway! Enjoy Tanzania, my favorite African country.
  • Thank you British, was not sure if the internal flight had checked luggage.
    Not sure that the beard option would go down well with my wife :), but will not be shaving every day.
    We are definitely looking forward to the trip.
  • edited January 2017
    DavidF2 wrote:
    We are all really looking forward to our Family Safari in June/July, but I had a question regarding travelling with a Safety Razor and blades on the internal flight at the end of our tour.

I usually need to put the blades in the hold luggage, but was not sure what the policy is regarding blades on the internal flight. Does anyone know if I would be able to have these on that flight, or do I need to plan to bring a catridge razor?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    David

You fly out of very tiny municipal airports. There were no security check points and neither our carry-on handbags nor Tauck duffels were checked or scanned before any of the 4 internal flights* on K&T (I never saw a scanner, metal detector, or anyone that looked official.) The only field with any sort of terminal building was at Arusha. There was a small building at the Seregeti strip but we didn't enter. The Masai Mara just had a dirt strip with a small 10' X 10' block building with thatched roof- a "gift shop". We just walked from our safari vehicles to and boarded the planes while our duffels were loaded at each place. The aircraft were all small turbo prop commuter-style planes- Cessna Caravan, etc.

*Serengeti to Arusha, Amboseli to Nanyuki (Mount Kenya), Nanyuki to Masai Mara, Masai Mara to Nairobi.

450px-Cessna_208B_SKS_%28105090285%29.jpg

Baggage handlers and our Tauck duffels at Arusha (the municipal field, not where international flights land):

IMG_1974r.jpg

At Amboseli, one of the drivers had to chase a group of zebras off the runway before we could take off!

During one flight I sat in the co-pilot's seat:

IMG_1969r.jpg

One of two planes taking our group from Nanyuki to the Masai Mara:

IMG_2421r.jpg

• The final flight is from Zanzibar to Dar Es Salem if I remember correctly, so these are more conventional airports. You have to go through quite a few security lines when you get to Dar, it's strict there.