medical care

We are booked for July K T. We are all active healthy seniors. However, this did not stop us from getting very sick
on our last tour. Luckily, Tauck took great care in getting us the needed medical attention. This was in Peru, not Africa.
Does anyone know any details on medical care in these remote places. I am not talking local hospitals but quality medical services. We are taking the Tauck insurance as always but that doesn't mean we can get the care we need if we get sick or hurt.

Comments

• The lodges are remote but a Doctor has always been found on our tours when needed by tour members, we have taken both K and T and Tanzania and Zanzibar. There is also an American sponsored medical/surgery center in Arusha that we sponsor and have visited, its very impressive. Any real emergencies, the Tauck insurance should include evacuation for you if necessary
  • Our K&T TD (who developed this tour) told us that Tauck also has a contract with MedJet or similar medevac company to fly you out to a suitable hospital if necessary.

I got an infection in my finger on the flight over- a local doctor came to the Lake Duluti Serena Hotel in Arusha to treat me.
  • Can't comment on sickness, but while on our tour one of our group broke her ankle or foot (don't recall specifics) while in Tanzania with about a week to go. She was treated, casted, in an hour or two, missed one game drive, and was back with us as a full participant for the remainder of the tour. Our director always had a couple of capable men available whenever we were about to depart or return from a drive, and at the airport to carry her on and off the plane. I don't think any of the lodges are that remote or more than an hour or so from a medical facility. That wouldn't be one of my worries.
  • So there we are in Amboseli Park. A member of our group trips on the stone steps going up Observation Hill and very clearly breaks her knee cap. The drivers carry her down the hill, put her gingerly in one truck ( we switch around freeing up that truck), drive her to the small airstrip and she and her husband fly off to Nairobi for surgery. We all said our good-byes. Meanwhile, we fly off to Nanyuki the next day. A night later one of the drivers takes a truck to Nairobi, picks them up, and they are back on the tour! Unbelievable! Of course, she couldn't go on game drives, but her husband was able to enjoy the remaining events. Another participant tripped on steps at the Four Seasons and ended up staying there for another four days or so (as I recall) while the group moved on. Not exactly a shabby place to be! Our fantastic TD was in communication with both at all times. Hard to believe one can get such attentive service in the middle of nowhere, but, after all, this is Tauck and a good example of why so many of us are such loyal clients!
  • Thanks for all the good medical news. I am more concerned with GI issues. As a former Health Inspector
    I know what happens in kitchens. Even in US where we have strict regulations there are many issues with improper food handling, temps etc. It only took one dinner on our last Tauck trip to make half the people on the tour very ill
    Not something you will see posted. I will say Tauck did take very good care of us but it all could have been avoided if
    They had a better grasp on dining issues.
    Anyway, I will be diligent this time and hopefully have a great trip.
  • edited February 2017
    I always think that it is more likely that kitchens in third world countries, certainly like those in Africa are likely to be safer because these jobs are thought of as being so prestigious compared to how they are thought of in the US. Training will have taken place to cater to the tourist market, especially Tauck clients, or they will lose their custom. Plus, you can't always blame the kitchens. I have friends who keep leftovers from restaurants for days, and still eat them. We really don't eat out much compared to the average American, so we certainly enjoy our Tauck trips, I've forgotten how to cook when I get back home. Just as an example, We cooked with the chef at the New Delhi Oberoi, it was great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file