July/ August 2017 trip questions

Hi all,

I'm headed on this tour with my father and my daughter. Hailing from Massachusetts and Princeton, NJ. The trip of a lifetime for sure! Hope to meet others in our group on this forum. Especially those of you with splendid cameras and experience. ????

There are many threads online that answer questions, but they range from 1-6 years old. I'm worried that info is outdated.

Here's what I want to clarify:

Our plugs are FINE for charging items? No adapters needed?

Do the hotels really provide bug spray and bug repellent wipes?

What vaccines are you getting?

I'm overpacking...all the itch creams and pepto and bandaids and sunscreen and everything. I wish we could have a communal backpack of stuff so that we didn't all have to schlep everything.

Comments

• Plugs---- you do need adapters to change your two pin plug into a three pin Tanzania plug. You do not need converters, those change the voltage, your phone and iPad and camera will do that automatically or there will be a switch on them to change to the other voltage
    Bug spray, yes the hotels are likely to have bug spray, but I still took some of my own, just in case and I actually prefer the gel type rather than spray these days.
    Vaccines---talk to a travel Dr and take records of any vaccines you have already had and when, in case you need boosters. Tell them your medical history, have an itinerary of where you are going with you. Do this months in advance in case you haven't had a vaccine like Hep B that requires a course of three over several months.
    Take advice from your Dr. Some people who use the forum take very little precautions, I go fully vaccinated for everything people of my age should have, such as shingles vaccine, I also take Malaria meds.
  • DLHourigan wrote:
    Our plugs are FINE for charging items? No adapters needed?
    Which tour are you taking?

The things you are asking do not really change.

You'll need an adapter to change from a US two prong plug to TZ (& Kenya?) plugs. Also, US wall receptacles provide 110 volts while TZ (& Kenya?) receptacles provide 220 volts. Check all your power/charger modules to ensure they are dual voltage (110V/220V)- the info will be printed or stamped on the side of the modules. If you have any electronic devices that are not dual voltage (110 volts only) you will need a converter (converts 220 volts to 110 volts).

You might also want to get a small multi-outlet power strip so you can charge multiple devices at the same time using only one adapter (and one outlet.)
    Do the hotels really provide bug spray and bug repellent wipes?

Some might, but don't count on it. I suggest you take bug repellent with DEET. Also, before you go, you should treat your safari clothes with Permethrin.
    What vaccines are you getting?

Check the "Before You Go" ("Health and Activity") and with your (travel) doctor.
    I'm overpacking...all the itch creams and pepto and bandaids and sunscreen and everything. I wish we could have a communal backpack of stuff so that we didn't all have to schlep everything.

You might consider asking your doctor for an oral antibiotic like CIPRO just in case you get intestinal issues.
  • There is an informative article about Picaridan (for clothes only), Deet and Lemon Eucalyptus Oil (for both clothes and skin) in the August 2016 issue of Consumer Reports.

As an aside, there appear to be two possible advantages to Lemon Eucalyptus Oil... it's less toxic to skin and eyes and it's less likely to stain clothes... and, for women, it won't remove their nail polish like Deet might do.