Tips welcome for early August Imperial Europe Budapest, Vienna and Prague

I'm a frequent traveler but this is my first visit to Budapest, Vienna and Prague.

I will spend two pre-tour days in Budapest so appreciate any must visit sites not on the tour and great restaurant recommendations.

Question: How is the Ritz Carlton in Budapest where we are staying?

Comments

• Nancy, Here is how I plan my Tauck trips.

First I read everything here on Tauck's website for the tour - the tabs for Itinerary, Before You Go, Accomodations, etc have a wealth of information.

I also go to the hotel's website(s) and poke around. What do the rooms look like, what dining options are there, etc. They often give lists of local activities.

Then I do a top things to do in "X". Loads of websites with suggestions - Lonely Planet, Fodors, Rick Steves, Trip Advisor, etc. If I'm really serious about the trip I borrow guide books from the library or purchase one or more.

Then I spend alot of time on google. On the hotels, I type in the name of the hotel and look at the pictures, then click on the map to see where it is, where is the nearest metro stop and then I do a little street view "walking" the area. To find something like a restaurant, ATM, etc I use the Nearby button. Usually there is a link to a restaurants's website and if I'm lucky a menu with prices. You can also check them out of rating websites. If I want to know how to get from the hotel to a tourist site, I use the directions button and it will give my walking or public transit directions.

We haven't done Budapest yet, but I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from those who have. The above is to give you some ideas. The problem with asking others is their interests might not be yours.

• Just what I do Claudia!
  • MCDMCD
    edited April 2017
    Hi, Nancy. I was in Budapest three years ago and am hoping to go back because there's more that I want to see and do. I just checked your itinerary and it didn't say anything about a tour of the Buda side of the river, except for a walking tour the night of your welcome dinner. The Buda side has Old Town, Buda Castle, Fisherman's Bastion and St. Matyas Church, all of which are iconic sites. I don't know how much time you will have the night of your dinner, but you could spend a half day there, anyway. There are some excellent walking tours, which you can research on line. I took the Communism walking tour, which is described on line as sort of a university lecture. My guide, Anna, certainly made it interesting, with insights into how her family lived through various political systems. She may not be doing it now, but I assume there are other excellent guides. Much like "London Walks" and "Paris Walks," you meet up in a square, and whoever shows up takes the tour. Although the walk is free, it is expected that you would tip the guide at the end of the tour. There are several free walking tours on line, but the one that I did is described at www.triptobudapest.hu. Tours meet at the Lion Fountain in Vorosmarty Square.

My adult children and I had a lovely late lunch at Rezkakas (www.rezkakasbistro.hu). I recall linen tablecloths, but we were not dressed up, and did not feel out of place. We also had lunch along the Danube at a place called Dunacorso. (I remember the names only because I put them in my photo album!)

Enjoy your tour. Prague has been one of my favorite places since I was first there in 1969, and when I went back on the same trip on which I visited Budapest, I was not disappointed.

I'm heading to Peru and Bolivia and three weeks, but reliving my Budapest trip is making me think that I should sign up to go back!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file