Video Link Test #2 Update- link to video that works

I'm testing to see if anyone can view a Facebook video (underwater Galapagos) from the link below without having permission to view the album.

Test failed.

UPDATE 5/9/2017: See post # 12. I added links to three of my underwater videos, one with sharks. Turtles, Turtles, Turtles video tomorrow.

Comments

• Another test, this time to see if image size is controllable so the image doesn't overflow the screen which is typical on the Tauck Forum when an image is wider than 640 pixels. You can always reduce the size of the image, but what a pain! Remember, the photo must be "hosted" somewhere on the web (i.e. on a photo-sharing website.) It won't work if the photo is only on your computer.

Results: I could find no valid HTML or Bulletin Board code that can be used with the Tauck forum (bulletin board) software that will reduce image size.

This post also tests whether photos hosted on Facebook can be accessed and viewed without, in this case Facebook, permission. I can see it, because my computer has the required permission, but can you?

Machu Picchu moment

Please post your results here if you can or can not see the photo at the link above. I will then add instructions for posting photos, actually links to photos, that you can open in a separate window and not overflow the screen. With Tauck's bulletin board software, that seems to be the best we can do.
  • Hi Alan - Saw the photo -- looks like a perfect day in the clouds at MP! Could not open the video - safari couldn't find the link.
  • See the beautiful pic at MP. Can not view the video.
  • AlanS wrote:
    I'm testing to see if anyone can view a Facebook video (underwater Galapagos) from the link below without having permission to view the album.

Sharks

Can anyone see (watch) the video?
    No the video does not come up. It states you have to be invited.
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks all. One more try. One more fail.

As before (if it ever works), it is best viewed in HD/highest resolution. FYI, the shaking/warping is caused by a combination of the camera moving slightly when filming and setting the speed to less than 100% when editing the segment.

Link to another shot of Machu Picchu, taken early the next morning with interesting, but less-than-ideal weather.
  • Video goes to blank screen for me. Pic of MP fantastic.
  • Alan, could you please comment on the Galapagos part of the tour? As you may know, We took the tour about ten years ago and will be repeating it in December. There appears to be more opportunity to snorkel this time, what can you say about that? Also, did you visit Post Office Bay? We enjoyed that and did hear from a guy who's postcard we mailed to him when we returned to the US, he lived in the next county. We did not take him up on an offer to meet up, it was on his plane or boat and we decided he maybe thought we are in his league, we aren't.
  • edited May 2017
    British wrote:
    Alan, could you please comment on the Galapagos part of the tour? As you may know, We took the tour about ten years ago and will be repeating it in December. There appears to be more opportunity to snorkel this time, what can you say about that? Also, did you visit Post Office Bay? We enjoyed that and did hear from a guy who's postcard we mailed to him when we returned to the US, he lived in the next county. We did not take him up on an offer to meet up, it was on his plane or boat and we decided he maybe thought we are in his league, we aren't.

With a few exceptions, we had an opportunity to snorkel at least once, sometimes twice per day, typically one "snorkel from the beach" or "deep water snorkel" in the morning and the opposite in the afternoon. Actually, a more appropriate description of the deep water snorkel is a 'panga snorkel' - you enter the water from the panga (it is outfitted with an aluminum boarding ladder to make it easier to climb back in.) I wish there were more snorkeling sessions! For that matter, I wish SCUBA had been available for certified divers. According to my daily sheets there were 7 beach/deep water snorkeling sessions but there may have been one not on the schedule. There were alternative activities for those who did not want to snorkel.

Depending, of course, how far away from the beach/rocks/cliff, the depths in the snorkeling areas were generally about the same. Being generally the sides of volcanoes, the bottom slopes down and in some areas it got fairly deep relatively quickly. As you know, the deeper you go, more sun is filtered out, making it darker and causing the colors (of the fish, etc.) to become darker and predominantly blue/green. For that reason, and the fact that most of the snorkelers stayed at/on the surface, snorkeling was mostly done in relatively shallow water- 3' - 8' deep- still plenty to see there. Since I was using my GoPro to take stills and videos, I did a lot of free diving, but even so, only to 8' - 15'- my lungs ain't what they used to be! Some areas had a bit of swell surge that pushed us towards and away from the beach/rocks- update: to illustrate, watch my "Turtles" video at the link in post #12 below. FYI, there were a dozen or more large green sea turtles in an area not much larger than 20' in diameter! You will see the turtles and me staying in roughly the same relative position to each other while all of us are being pushed back and forth over the bottom and rocks! Also, compare the visibility of the water between the "Sharks" and "Turtles" videos- it varied from location to location. Temps were pleasant- I wore a "skin suit" which is thinner than the shorty wetsuits provided, for all but the last dive- I got a bit of sun burn on the backs of my un-protected legs. Temps were forecast to be downright cold in one or two locations, but that didn't happen- temps are a function of the seasons/major currents, and while they varied none were unpleasant. Also, since I did a lot of free diving to the bottom, I wore a weight belt to help counter the extra bouyancy created by the suit and the water's salt content which is higher here than coastal waters of the US. We returned to the ship after each snorkeling session.

We did not visit Post Office Bay.
  • Thank you Alan, it's good to know we return to the boat after a snorkel. Yes, there is definitely more opportunity to snorkel than I remember but we also experienced poor visibility, it's certainly not like Hawaii, the Caribbean or Malta where I attempted scuba but did not like it, too scared of being under water. But it's great to swim with seals, see turtles and so on so unique to Galapagos.
  • What shoes did you use on the wet landings if there were any.
  • edited May 2017
    crackers54 wrote:
    What shoes did you use on the wet landings if there were any.

Some of the beaches have varying amounts of small pebbles and stones along with sand and since the bottoms of my feet are very sensitive, I had to use water shoes- but with mixed results. I had a pair of relatively cheap ones (from Walmart?). They worked well when sailing my Hobie Cat and actually drained quickly and easily. However, the sand in the shallow water (and on some of the beaches) was very soft. I sank up to my ankles in the soft surf sand and my shoes filled with wet sand which wouldn't drain out. I had to find a rock to sit on so I could remove my water shoes, shake out as much sand as possible, dry my feet, try to get the sand from between my toes (salt water can leave your skin a little sticky), and put on my shoes. After wet landings I found walking on even shortest hikes extremely uncomfortable in just my water shoes. It was slightly better if I wore socks. The most comfortable was when I carried and switched into socks and regular sneakers and put extra effort into cleaning of the sand. I think there was one hike however that required transiting a shallow pool- so I had to stop and remove my socks and sneakers. Again, the bottoms of my feet are very sensitive.

My daily sheets show 3 wet and 3 dry landings, with an additional 3 "snorkel from the beach", which I suppose you could consider more wet landings, especially if you stop snorkeling early and take a stroll down the beach.

FYI, I am uploading the previous mentioned video to YouTube. See the links below: As before, they are best viewed full screen in HD 1080 or the highest resolution your computer can manage. Also see comments about shaking in my early posts.

UW-6 Video with Sea Lion

Sharks, etc.

UW-5

Turtles, turtles, turtles
  • edited May 2017
    I posted four underwater videos to Post #12 in this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file