Luggage

We are taking this trip in November and the information talks about the in tour flights and to look up luggage specifics as they differ. Can anyone give some insight as to any luggage issues they might have had? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Cutrer,
    We took this trip in Sept. 2014. We had to stay under 44 lbs. on our checked luggage. They did charge if it was overweight on the internal flights. They were also checking carry on luggage for size, weight requirements. Seemed like backpacks and small duffles weren't scrutinized but rollers were.
    Hope this helps.
  • This isn't about luggage but are you on the 11/10 essence of South America?
  • Promomann wrote:
    This isn't about luggage but are you on the 11/10 essence of South America?

Yes we are. My parents and my husband and I.
  • Crackeroo wrote:
    Hi Cutrer,
    We took this trip in Sept. 2014. We had to stay under 44 lbs. on our checked luggage. They did charge if it was overweight on the internal flights. They were also checking carry on luggage for size, weight requirements. Seemed like backpacks and small duffles weren't scrutinized but rollers were.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you, any information is always helpful.
  • Cutrer wrote:
    Yes we are. My parents and my husband and I.

Hi - my husband and I are on the trip - where do you reside?
  • We live in Texas and my parents in Florida.
  • Do you recall the airline names you took..Tauck can't seem to tell us that. Also do you remember how much you paid for being overweight on luggage?
  • Cutrer

I did some research on internal flights. I could be way off base, but this is what I found.

Santiago (SCL) to Puerto Montt (PMC) - Latam Airlines l hour 45 minutes
    Bariloche (BRC) to Buenos Aires (BUE) - Aerolineas Argentinas Airlines - 2 hours
    Buenos Aires (BUE) to Iguazu (IGR) Aerolineas Argentinas Airlines - 1 hour 55 minutes
    Iguazu (IGR) to Rio (GIG) Latam Airlines - l hour 55 minutes

My husband and I will be on the January 23 tour. Anyone else? We live in San Rafael, CA and this will be our 4th Tauck tour.
  • piccolo wrote:
    Cutrer

I did some research on internal flights. I could be way off base, but this is what I found.

Santiago (SCL) to Puerto Montt (PMC) - Latam Airlines l hour 45 minutes
    Bariloche (BRC) to Buenos Aires (BUE) - Aerolineas Argentinas Airlines - 2 hours
    Buenos Aires (BUE) to Iguazu (IGR) Aerolineas Argentinas Airlines - 1 hour 55 minutes
    Iguazu (IGR) to Rio (GIG) Latam Airlines - l hour 55 minutes

My husband and I will be on the January 23 tour. Anyone else? We live in San Rafael, CA and this will be our 4th Tauck tour.

My friend and I are on the November 10th trip. We live outside of DC in Bethesda. Trying to stay under 40 lbs. We're arriving on the 9th in the morning. Anyone else going a day early?
  • My husband and I are also on the January 23rd trip. We are going a few days early and we reside in Florida.
  • Hello Salmcg

We will arrive on Monday, January 22. Our United Flight routes us through Houston. There is a private day trip with Viator to Vina del Mar and Valparaiso that we might consider for Tuesday, January 23. It should get us back in time for the 6 p.m. reception. We will see how tired we are after traveling for so many hours and make our decision when we arrive on Monday. If you want to connect directly, my e-mail is ritachick@comcast.net
    Looking forward to meeting you. Never been to South America before. Have you? Rita
  • Rita, we arrive on the 24th and we have a wine tour scheduled for the 25th. We also have never been to South America. This should be a fun trip!! The trip officially doesn’t begin until the 26th at 6:00pmso we will have some wiggle room to rest up. Talk soon, Sallie
  • Hi Sallie

I don't believe our paths will cross. We are on the small group tour that begins on January 23. By the 26th, we will already be in Bariloche. Too bad! Have a wonderful time and perhaps we can connect via e-mail regarding past and future trips with Tauck. Rita
  • Salmcg wrote:
    Rita, we arrive on the 24th and we have a wine tour scheduled for the 25th. We also have never been to South America. This should be a fun trip!! The trip officially doesn’t begin until the 26th at 6:00pmso we will have some wiggle room to rest up. Talk soon, Sallie

Hey, Sallie -- My husband and I are on the trip beginning the 26th. This will be our 3rd with Tauck. So looking forward to it!! Which company is leading your wine tour on the 25th?
  • We booked it through trip adviser. It is a viator tour and we are going on the sommelier tour maipo valley. We get picked up at the hotel at 9:30 and visit two wineries in the maipo valley.
  • I am also on the January 23rd trip. Travelling with 3 friends from FL. I'm a travel agent and Tauck gave me the internal flight information - I checked their baggage rules and all say 50 lbs and 62 inches for checked luggage. We arrive on the 21st and are taking a couple of tours before our welcome dinner on the 23rd. Looking forward to this wonderful itinerary.
  • Hi Susan

My husband and I will arrive the morning of January 22 and will be taking the Tauck tour departing on January 23. As of now I'm holding off doing a day tour on the 23rd since after 17+ hours of travel time, we might just want to rest. Looking forward to meeting you and your friends at the welcome dinner. This will be our 4th Tauck tour. We live in San Rafael, CA. I found similar info on checked luggage, but concerns me that Tauck says 44 lbs (20 kg) in their booklet sent to us. Oh well, summer clothes are easy to pack! Leo and Rita Chick
  • My husband and I took this tour in Sept. 2014. It was one of our favorites. At that time, the internal flights were restricted to 44 lbs and the airlines were weighing and charging. They were even weighing carry on luggage. Back packs and small duffels seemed to just be given a glance. Wheeled carry ons were almost all checked and weighed.
  • I am also on the January 23rd trip. Travelling with 3 friends from FL. I'm a travel agent and Tauck gave me the internal flight information - I checked their baggage rules and all say 50 lbs and 62 inches for checked luggage. We arrive on the 21st and are taking a couple of tours before our welcome dinner on the 23rd. Looking forward to this wonderful itinerary.

Susan, this is the information that Tauck provides for the tour.
    Checked Luggage – GeneralDue to space restrictions, we ask that you please limit your checked luggage to one suitcase per person weighing no more than 44 pounds (20 kg) and with overall dimensions (length + width + height) not exceeding 54 inches (137 cm).
    I am not sure whether you have traveled with Tauck before, but note you are a Travel agent. If you are fine with paying excess baggage fees if you find the 44 pound rule is strictly enforced then that is fine. But I have been on planes where bags that weigh more have been left behind to be forwarded on a next but less full flight. I travel a lot with Tauck and have never had a problem keeping under 44 pounds which still provides me with numerous clothing changes and enough to do no more than washing a few undies during most tours. Again, if this is your first experience with Tauck, you will find the tours are very casual, they are tours and not really vacations. There is often no time to change before dinner, so I usually wear clothing during the day that can be spruced up with a small accessory for the evenings. I always notice that those people who do start the first few days of the tour with more fancy clothing often revert to more casual things after a few days because these tours can be tiring.
    Please consider paring down your wardrobe, that is what experienced travelers are able to do. Mr B says I have a ways to go, but again, I never go over 44 pounds.
  • Thanks for your advice. I have travelled with Tauck several times. I was just reporting what I saw on the airlines' websites. I have read Tauck's luggage restrictions. I do not plan to pay excess baggage fees.
  • Good morning to fellow Tauck travelers

Interesting comments about weight, packing, etc. I agree with British, rarely do you have time to "dress up" for dinner nor do you have the energy! We will be on a total of 8 flights from January 21 to February 6. My main concern is lost luggage which you really can't do much about! I divide our clothes between the two suitcases and we each have a small backpack as our carry-on. So we will keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I've been checking the weather and it will be in the 80's with sun and then thunderstorms when we get to the Falls. Looking forward to another Tauck tour and visiting South America for the first time. Plus having the opportunity to make new friends. Rita Chick

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file