Visiting Jewish quarter and synagogues in free time

On the Oct. 5, 2017, Musical Magic tour, do we need to make advance arrangements to use our free time to visit the Jewish quarter and a historic synagogue in each (or some) of Budapest, Vienna, and Prague? Can Tauck make recommendations and/or coordinate for us? Thanks.

Comments

• Just be sure to check with them if the synagogues will be open during your visit as there are several Jewish Holidays during this time.
  • edited September 2017
    Can Tauck make recommendations and/or coordinate for us? Thanks.

I have never known Tauck to do that. Extra tour and on tour excursions on your own during free time are your responsibility. While on tour, your TD may make suggestions for visits and how to get there.

As far as using Viator, just be aware they are a broker of (large) group tours and don't run tours of their own. If you plan a tour to a particular site and don't need transportation you can just get tickets and do it on your own or book directly with a local tour provider often at a lower price than with Viator (it may be the same company Viator uses). I have read good and bad reviews of Viator. A few things to think about size of the group, and schedule- if there are not enough people signed up, Viator may cancel a tour. With a private tour you can customize- you decide, where, when, and how long to stay at a site.
  • On the Oct. 5, 2017, Musical Magic tour, do we need to make advance arrangements to use our free time to visit the Jewish quarter and a historic synagogue in each (or some) of Budapest, Vienna, and Prague? Can Tauck make recommendations and/or coordinate for us? Thanks.
  • I was on Tauck's Blue Danube river cruise last summer (2016), and my travel agent helped me pre-book local private guides for Jewish Heritage tours. Both were excellent, and I highly recommend them. In Prague, I used Wittmann Tours (office@wittmann-tours.com); in Budapest my guide was Andrea Gozco Magyar from Tours By Locals.
  • On the Oct. 5, 2017, Musical Magic tour, do we need to make advance arrangements to use our free time to visit the Jewish quarter and a historic synagogue in each (or some) of Budapest, Vienna, and Prague? Can Tauck make recommendations and/or coordinate for us? Thanks.

Hi,
    I was on Tauck's Blue Danube river cruise last summer (2016), and my travel agent helped me pre-book local private guides for Jewish Heritage tours. Both were excellent, and I highly recommend them. In Prague, I used Wittmann Tours (office@wittmann-tours.com); in Budapest my guide was Andrea Gozco Magyar from Tours By Locals.
  • We are also interested in a Jewish heritage tour in Budapest. Maybe a group tour can be arranged for those who are interested?
    Linda Sandhaus and Roland Philip
    lindasandhaus@gmail.com
  • In Prague's Jewish Quarter you just go to any of the synagogues on the tour and buy a ticket for individual sites, some of the sites or all of the sites. No advance booking is necessary. Same is true for the Jewish Synagogue in Budapest.
  • I'm in Prague right now. If it is a Jewish religious holiday the temples are not open to the public which meant those who were on our tour could only view the outside. Sorry, not well versed with when this holiday ends this year, but check before you go.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file