NEW MONEY IN BRITAIN

If you have money from past visits to Britain, please know that this week a new ten pound note goes into circulation and the old notes will no longer be legal tender. The five pound note has already been in circulation. The one pound coin has also been re-designed and now has eight sides, the old round coin will no longer be legal tender as of this week. Some stores will try to give you old money in change but you can refuse to accept it. I am thinking the twenty pound note will be the next note to be changed, so be sure to spend any of those old notes before you leave Britain on Any upcoming tours.

Comments

• Glad I burned off most of my excess at the Heathrow duty free last summer. Cadbury's milk bar. Yum.
  • Quote from the Bank of England website below. I interpret it to mean that one can always exchange "obsolete" notes for new ones at the Bank of England. We have lots of "obsolete" pounds that we'll be eager to exchange next year.

"When do Bank of England notes stop being legal tender?

Bank of England notes stop being legal tender when we announce that they are withdrawn.

Before this happens, a newly designed banknote is produced and enters circulation. Bank of England notes keep their face value for all time. If your local bank, building society or Post Office is not willing to accept them, then you can exchange them for new notes at the Bank of England.

For the most recent note withdrawals, we publicised the withdrawal date three months in advance. For the most recent paper £5 note, the period was longer: it stopped being legal on 5 May 2017."
  • Ash ed. Some corrections. The new pound coin is 12 sided. Old Pound Coins cannot be exchanged at the Bank of England.
    The Bank of England is in London, there is only one. You must have a British Bank account where the exchanged money can be deposited, that is how they give it you. Or if you want to put it into your US Bank account, you have to provide theSWIFT number etc but the banks can charge you for this, sometimes for both transactions and it is not cheap. I think if you take notes to the post office, they will also give it by way of a bank account.
  • British...Thanks for the clarification on coins and single location of Bank of England. I was primarily referring to the more valuable notes. Our family living near Salisbury confirmed that exchanges can be made at Post Offices. What we have is still good for a pint or two. Cheers. Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file