Sydney leisure time

We are going on the Grand Australia and New Zealand February 19th trip. I noticed there is quite a bit of free time in Sydney. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to spend our time there, things not to be missed??
Thanks,
SFK

Comments

• The Rocks is especially interesting.

Also, many of our crew climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

This is a great trip you will enjoy it
  • Helicopter ride and book opera tickets in advance ( like now).
  • edited December 2017
    We did one of the Sydney Harbor Bridge climbs and then went to several pubs in the Rocks. Don't drink before the climb as they breathalyze all climbers. Great fun however the climbs do book up fast. This is a fantastic Tauck trip.
  • Take a walk through the botanical gardens to mrs Macquarie chair for a different but spectacular view of the harbour and opera house. Ferry over to Manly is nice on your free day too.
  • ferry across the harbor to the Sydney Zoo, take a day trip to the Blue Mts, touristy but lovely, we used Gray Bus lines. Walked to the Sydney Aquarium one day. Very good oriental restaurants in Sydney.
  • I did a 4 hour bike tour of Sydney. It was a great way to cover a good amount of territory and see it close up. It included many of the areas suggested above. It wasn't strenuous at all. Only signficiant up hill was to the Harbour bridge, which we rode across to the midpoint, then back.

Company I used was https://bonzabiketours.com/ I have no affiliation with them - just a satisfied customer.
  • We will be in Sydney in March 2018. Is it necessary to get bridge climb reservations in advance, before leaving America or can you wait and arrange once arrive in Sydney?
  • We booked ours several months before we departed. This allowed us to get a good time for the climb and plan the remainder of the day around the climb. They have several to choose from so check it out. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • A ferry trip and a day in Manley is well worthwhile.
  • AshvEd - So, what is a good time to do the climb? The hotel concierge recommended we wait to book until we arrived so we could see the weather forecast and make sure we were picking a good day. He didn't seem to be worried about it booking up, but I am a little nervous about that. I wouldn't want to miss doing it. What else did you do on that day?
  • CatLover8 wrote:
    AshvEd - So, what is a good time to do the climb? The hotel concierge recommended we wait to book until we arrived so we could see the weather forecast and make sure we were picking a good day. He didn't seem to be worried about it booking up, but I am a little nervous about that. I wouldn't want to miss doing it. What else did you do on that day?
    I think we did this at around 11:30 AM. We booked early and took the risk that the weather would be OK. I guess you could take a chance and wait until you get to the Great Barrier Reef area and then look at the weather and make a decision. It's really a tough call. After the climb we went to several historic pubs in The Rocks area and had lunch and a few pints. Then we walked around more of The Rocks area and ambled back to our hotel.
  • Spent four days in Sydney last year - beautiful city, very crowded. We had pre-booked a special back-of-the-house tour of the Sydney Opera House. Fantastic and what an interesting history! Also, if you want a truly amazing burger go to the Park Hyatt - pricey but worth it! (If you want a real treat, stay there and get the Opera House view -
    it was totally worth the money!) Restaurants On the Rocks very touristy. Also take a cruise on the Sydney Harbor. Went on a small boat with about 10 people we didn't know, and the Captain and the one crew member made an amazing BBQ lunch/dinner. Great views around the Harbor! Have a fabulous trip!
  • CatLover8 wrote:
    AshvEd - So, what is a good time to do the climb? The hotel concierge recommended we wait to book until we arrived so we could see the weather forecast and make sure we were picking a good day. He didn't seem to be worried about it booking up, but I am a little nervous about that. I wouldn't want to miss doing it. What else did you do on that day?

I think 11.30 is a bit late in the morning to be doing a bridge climb (it's still summer then). Suggest a start earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon when the temperature is a little lower. I have not done the climb, but live in Australia and suggest that you avoid the middle of the day for strenuous activities.
  • We did this tour. Wonderful! This suggestion by a previous poster: "Take a walk through the botanical gardens to mrs Macquarie chair for a different but spectacular view of the harbour and opera house" was part of our tour. I wonder if each is slightly different - you should ask your director before you go. We walked around parts of the city, spent a lot of time in the botanical garden. The tour of the Opera House is great, but we loved it so much that we went back.
  • Sydney swelters on hottest day since 1939 as mercury hits 47.3C http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42595180. This is why I do not recommend visiting Australia at hisime of year
  • edited January 2018
    British wrote:
    Sydney swelters on hottest day since 1939 as mercury hits 47.3C http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42595180. This is why I do not recommend visiting Australia at this time of year

The link didn't work but just Google it. And for those of us more familiar with Fahrenheit, 47.3° C = 117.1 F ° Yikes!!
  • AlanS wrote:
    The link didn't work but just Google it. And for those of us more familiar with Fahrenheit, 47.3° C = 117.1 F ° Yikes!!
    AlanS: Slightly off topic. We live in Asheville and spouse believes you live somewhere in NC based on a past posting. Where do you reside?
  • AshvEd wrote:
    AlanS: Slightly off topic. We live in Asheville and spouse believes you live somewhere in NC based on a past posting. Where do you reside?

little Washington, almost at the opposite end of the state.
  • We took this tour in April 2015. On our free day, a few of us from our tour did the Sydney Bridge Climb in the early morning. It was a last minute choice for me and my husband and I am so glad that we did it. Later in the day we took the ferry to Manly Beach and spent a few hours walking and exploring. Really enjoyed that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file