Options

Photography in Italy--using tripods

Has anyone taken their tripods with them? I'm a fairly serious amateur photographer and am trying to prepare for the Classic Italy tour. I know in some museums and churches that tripods are not allowed. Does anyone have any info on this or any tips? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Has anyone taken their tripods with them? I'm a fairly serious amateur photographer and am trying to prepare for the Classic Italy tour. I know in some museums and churches that tripods are not allowed. Does anyone have any info on this or any tips? Thanks in advance

We did this tour in May 2016. I took a lot of photos. I did not take a tripod and never even considered it. Like most Tauck tours, unless you are on your own during free time, things move too fast to be able to use a tripod much. You just don't have time to set up a tripod and set the camera for a photo. Also, despite being a small group tour, in most places there will be other tourists- the one exception is the Vatican apartments and Sistine Chapel. It was nearly impossible to get a good shot of Michelangelo's Pieta in Saint Peter's due to the crowd and the heavy plexiglass wall in front of it. There are places where photography and/or flash were not permitted, thankfully, there were no restrictions in the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. Since this trip is often referred to as the ABC tour (another beautiful church tour) you will be looking up a lot at fabulous ceilings, etc. That is hard to do with a tripod. If you really think you need something to help you stabilize your camera, you might want to think about a collapsible monopod.

Sistine Chapel

361r.jpg

366r.jpg

364r.jpg

St. Peter's Basilica- typical crowd:

436r.jpg

435r.jpg

• Options
    Wow, I am sure there was no Plexiglass when we were there, shame but necessary these days, but no good for photos.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    We've been on five Tauck trips including one river cruise and have never observed fellow travelers bring either a tripod or monopod along. I own both however when not traveling by auto it is one more piece of gear to lug along and keep track of, so I elect to leave them at home. With regards to plexiglass and other reflecting surfaces, try using a circular polarizing filter to remove or minimize reflections. It has generally worked well for me with sunlight and may work for spotlights.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    British wrote:
    Wow, I am sure there was no Plexiglass when we were there, shame but necessary these days, but no good for photos.

In 1972 a crazy Hungarian geologist attacked the sculpture with a geologists hammer and did damage. One piece was carried off but eventually returned by the person who took it. One piece might still be missing(?) You can read about it and see photos here.

There has to be a better glass or acrylic that can be used that will provide good protection but also allow photos. Another thought is a moat or an elevated pedestal.
  • Options

I agree with Alan that you wouldn't want to use a tripod when sightseeing with the tour group. Things move too fast (generally) and you wouldn't want your fiddling with a tripod to hold people up. The crowds in the tourist areas also argue against a tripod. Thas being said, I have brought a tripod on Tauck trips, but only to use in the early morning and evening "magic" and "blue" hours, typically near the hotel. I could see it on this trip for a view of the bay of Naples, or Venice in the morning or evening. You could even shoot Rome lit up in the blue hours, if you're out and about.

As for chuches and museums, I usually crank up the ISO, use a fast lens with image stabilization and lean against a wall, column, or pew.

Enjoy Classic Italy. It was our first tour with Tauck and still our favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file