Tauck suggested tip amount to Tour Director and Bus Driver

Wanting to budget some $ for the Tour Director's and Bus Driver tips and wanted to find out what has Tauck suggested in the past for this Trip?

Comments

• In the booklet that you receive before the tour, it gives suggested amounts. They suggest $8 per day for the director and $4 per day for the driver. They emphasize that gratuities are voluntary as is the amount you chose to give. Personally I do "round" off the amount somewhat because if it is a 12 day tour the amounts would be $96 and $48. These are odd amounts to me so I would round to either the multiple of 5 or 10.

I did this tour a few years ago and enjoyed it greatly.
  • In my latest tour booklet, I notice the suggested amounts have now gone up to $5 and $10
  • British wrote:
    In my latest tour booklet, I notice the suggested amounts have now gone up to $5 and $10

That was just your booklet, because they know you are high maintenance. : ) : ) : )
  • That's naughty Alan! We are very well behaved and low maintenance on our tours and I am quite the comedienne too! I leave being naughty to here!????
  • Hadn't considered the exchange rate, do they specify amounts in $ or pounds?
  • The books always quote dollars, but say you can tip the equivalent in local currency.
  • edited March 2018
    jrowland wrote:
    Hadn't considered the exchange rate, do they specify amounts in $ or pounds?

It is a suggested tip so it is all up to you- round up, round down, give more, give less; USD, GBP, Euros, a mix of two or more, or even nothing at all. We've done all but the last one. We often mix, to get rid of excess foreign currency. It all spends the same!

Remember, also, while your driver may be local, your TD could be from the US, UK, Ireland, etc.etc. On our Ireland trip, our TD was from the UK, but currently living in NZ.
  • Although it’s obviously best to give tips in pounds, it is much easier to exchange foreign money at a bank in the UK than in the US. Be aware that the UK changes it’s money style fairly frequently and so any ‘old money’ you have lying around from past trips may no longer be legal tender. There have been discussions about this here on the forum and despite what some people have said here, it is not easy to change this old money for legal money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file