Tips for travel in Italy

We recently went on the Classic Italy, Small Group Tour. It was fabulous. We had a terrific tour director and a total of 21 travelers. Here are a few tips for traveling in Italy: bring Xeroxed copies of your passport and leave the real ones in the room safe; bring hair conditioner (3 of our hotels did not provide it); bring bandaids for potential foot issues; bring anti-nausea medicine such as dramamine for some winding roads near the coast; bring bug spray for your body for trips to the rural areas; bring plenty of sunscreen and a hat; carry small individual containers of Morton salt - most restaurants don't put salt on their tables; bring personal washclothes - they weren't provided in most hotels; bring some salty snacks - it is rare to find something salty to eat there. Comfortable shoes with support are essential because there is a lot of walking and stairs. One final IMPORTANT tip for women: purchase disposable toilet seat covers in the USA and bring them with you. Many public womens restrooms and even some restaurant womens restrooms have no toilet seats - this was a complete shock to me! A fellow traveler knew this in advance and brought Charmin disposable covers - five to a pack.

Other quirky things we learned: make sure you have plenty of time for connecting with a flight in Europe (you have to go through passport control and security again) - we missed ours in Frankfurt; Italians never order capuchino after 11:00 am; in Florence don't order the beef unless you like it rare; the Italian lemon soda is the best I've ever tasted; I ordered pizza four times on this trip and they didn't slice it unless I asked for it to be sliced; the line at the Duomo in Florence is always very long, so we went to 8:30 am Mass and the guards let us right in; in Venice take the vaporetto to get around - it's easy.

Relax and enjoy your trip. Italy is magical.

Comments

• I love it when people post great tips on this forum, I really appreciate it. As a well travelled person, I of course was pretty much aware of your tips apart from comments and fun on the following.
    It is such a nuisance having to take conditioner just in case it is not provided and I could not remember whether this is a common occurrence in Italy, so when I go in September I'll be sure to take a supply.
    Salt--- well for me this news is wonderful, I'm fed up of eating over-salted food in the US and my Cardiologist will be relieved! I was always taught that any decent chef would be highly offended if you tried to adjust his perfect seasoning.
    We have barely added salt to food for many years and our palates are well adjusted and food is just as tasty to us. We noticed in both New Zealand and Tanzania Tauck tours how great the food was because it was not salty. I look forward to tasty Italian food that if fresh should not require salting.
    Finally, any well traveled woman learns to perfect the technique of what I call The Vacation Hover! That is, I never sit on a public toilet seat. It's such a relief to get home, relax and sit. In addition, I think the research says that toilets are more hygienic without a seat which is the part that tends not to get cleaned properly by attendants. But be sure to stand well back when you flush to avoid spray!
  • edited July 2015
    British wrote:
    Salt--- well for me this news is wonderful, I'm fed up of eating over-salted food in the US and my Cardiologist will be relieved! I was always taught that any decent chef would be highly offended if you tried to adjust his perfect seasoning.
    We have barely added salt to food for many years and our palates are well adjusted and food is just as tasty to us. We noticed in both New Zealand and Tanzania Tauck tours how great the food was because it was not salty. I look forward to tasty Italian food that if fresh should not require salting.

Well, British, you shouldn't count on low salt in Italy. While many places in Europe don't put salt shakers on the table, it doesn't mean the food is low in salt. As you correctly point out, chefs season the food and don't think you should need to add more. However, in my experience, the amount of salt used in Italian cooking is fairly high. We took a cooking class in Tuscany. At one point the chef made a vinaigrette dressing in a squeeze bottle (like a ketchup bottle). He started by putting about 1/4 inch of coarse salt in the bottom! The one interesting exception is bread in Tuscany and Umbria. In these areas there was an shortage of salt in earlier times (due to feuds between Florence and Pisa, then later due to taxes imposed by the Pope). So the bread there is made without salt and is very bland. Fortunately, everything else there is delicious!
  • Yes Ken, of course you are correct that I should not assume low salt. You reminded me of Italian cooking lessons I took here with a real Italian woman. Every time she added the salt to a dish we all gasped because she put so much in. I rarely use any and if I do it's a few grains.
  • British wrote:
    Yes Ken, of course you are correct that I should not assume low salt. You reminded me of Italian cooking lessons I took here with a real Italian woman. Every time she added the salt to a dish we all gasped because she put so much in. I rarely use any and if I do it's a few grains.
    It took me quite a few visits to the States to work out why my ankles and legs were almost permanently swollen while I was there then miraculously (thankfully) returned to normal once home. I put it down to overly salted food. I realise good home cooks wouldn't over-salt their creations, but as a visitor I was hostage to "catering" levels. I love the taste of un-salted, European style butter. It makes a delightful foil for vegemite on crusty Italian bread! ;))

Cheers,

Jan
  • Jan ,FYI, just in case you find yourself self-catering here, it is easy to find unsalted European brand butters here these days.
  • Wow. I feel like I've been whipped by the 'salt police'. First I found the food bland in Italy. Some entrees needed salt. Instead of offending the chef, the waiters, the owner, I suggested that salt users place a tiny container of salt in their purse or pocket and use it discretely. I am not urging anyone to use it who has been warned by a doctor or who does not want to use it. I don't ever drink alcohol, I have never smoked, I have never had a cup of coffee, I don't consume caffeine, and I have never used recreational drugs. So forgive me if I like a little salt.
  • Forgive me tangy, I get over enthusiastic on this forum, I have watched my salt intake for years. And of course once I had children I had to cook food for them without added salt and now my Blood pressure demands it too. When I get back from Italy I will post info if others are saying the food is bland, I'll probably think it is fine because I have had to train my palate.
  • Salt, schmalt! The long claimed dangers of eating too much salt, may be completely over-blown or at worst (best?) totally erroneous. Check out this report from Scientific American.
  • Thanks for posting that link, Alan. Veeerry interesting. So maybe all the added sugar & palm oil joins up with the "catering" levels of salt to irritate my personal waterworks storage system when I'm in the States. I only ever have tree trunk legs there. On the positive side, everything returns to normal when I get home. It's not as though I have to deal with the issue permanently! I dislike salty things, so it's not as if I'm being told by the Spanish Inquisition not to eat salt or I'll never be able to see Monty Python again! Mind you, I'm still trying to get over the absolute tragedy of the lady who started this thread, Tracy, visiting Italy and not experiencing the delights of tiramisu. Now that ... the lack of tiramisu in one's life ... certainly is a horror. Una tragedia!

You're right, of course. Everything in moderation.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Some folks may be surprised- the "Italian" food often served in the US is different than much of the "Italian" food served in Italy. Of course the same can also be said about food from different regions of Italy. Neopolitan pizza is nothing like NY pizza (or Sicilian pizza). I had to laugh at an old forum thread (or review?), where the writer was essentially complaining about all the Italian food on the tour?!?!? Say, what!!!! I must admit, however, to having cravings for various foods when I get home from a trip- like for a good old hunk of steak, Texas BBQ, or even just a burger.
  • Alan, you haven't lived! Wait till you hear what "some folks" say about the stunning European food on the riverboats. I tried to keep a very straight face when I was told that that was ... "the worst cheesecake I've ever tasted". My eyes might have given me away but the person involved was oblivious. The offending cake just didn't meet her standards. Recent research has revealed the existence of cheese cakes in ancient Greece, Rome, medieval England, so I suspect American versions of cheesecakes, particularly the commercial variety are a very capitalistic and postmodernist invention. As you say, possibly quite a different thing to the classic, European dish.

A good steak, although a much smaller hunk than yours probably, is a great way to get back into the swing of the home front. That, and a glass of Heathcote area shiraz from central Victoria. But not for breakfast, since most flights from Europe land in Melbourne in the morning!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Please give guidelines during tour how can safe we are stay.

And tell me best company of tour ? i want go to geelong trip with my best friends.
  • Before planning your trip to any country (not talking specifically about Italy) you should watch travel videos on that country. You can do more by buying road maps, and study some basic language courses so that you can understand people, their culture, and can communicate effectively for any help in the foreign country.
  • edited August 2015
    Before planning your trip to any country (not talking specifically about Italy) you should watch travel videos on that country. You can do more by buying road maps, and study some basic language courses so that you can understand people, their culture, and can communicate effectively for any help in the foreign country.

Judging by some of the questions that are asked on this forum, it s pretty obvious that many people do nothing about your helpful suggestions. You could argue that it is not necessary because Tauck does such a good job providing their customers with almost everything they will need for a tour which is the whole point of going on a well organized tour.
    On the other hand, to book a tour and then ask basic questions about weather, being scared about flying, going to a country with malaria but not wanting to take malaria meds, getting on a plane for 24 hours and then expecting to go straight into extra pre tour site seeing and feeling bright and breezy, those are the people who should have done what you suggest and read more about the destination they have chosen having paid a large amount of money to do so.
    No doubt others here may think oh are another spammer.
  • Here is my experience:
    Don't rent a car - it's too much trouble driving in the cities. You'll just get frustrated by the tiny roads, and you'll come home with tickets for accidently going into a restricted zone.
    Train travel is easy and low stress.
    Learn how to be polite, please and thankyou - not everyone speaks English but with a friendly attitude and effort you'll find the Italians very eager to help you out.
    Don't' expect anything to happen quickly. Italians take their time, especially over dinner. It can last from 7pm to midnight easily. Sit back, relax and enjoy yourself.
    Book a hotel in venice with a great view and take a private water taxi to get to it - it will cost you your firstborn, but it's worth every penny. I recommend the Locana Vivaldi.
    When in Venice, by all means visit Murano for the glass - but remember, the stores there exist solely to part tourists from their money. By a trinket or memento by all means.
  • edited September 2018
    My advice for italy is to stay away from the most touristy places like Venice, Rom, and Milano for example. Tosanca is awesome as well as Sicily is. Great food, even better wine and friendly people. But always be sure to check the weather on such a page, because the weather can vary heavily across the country. There are areas with nice weather all the year, but there are also parts where only the summer is really good.
  • My advice for italy is to stay away from the most touristy places like Venice, Rom, and Milano for exmaple. Tosanca is awesome as well as Sicily is. Great food, even better wine and friendly people.

TROLL ALERT!
  • One item that my wife always takes now is a folding hand fan. She buys them at our local Chinatown. The fan comes in handy in those stuffy museums or on the buses. There were a number of times on our trips that other ladies wished they have brought one along.
  • Thank you for sharing wonderful tips for travelling to Italy. I will surely plan and go there someday.
  • Great info. Thanks for the tips!

• How much time does one need when connecting thru Frankfurt to US flight?

• This is a very old thread. You might want to start a new one.