Power Adapters for Switzerland

I want to make sure we get the correct power adapters for our Switzerland trip.
I looked online and read that in Switzerland, power sockets are "type J".
Is that what I should get?
Amazon sells "Ceptics USA to Switzerland Travel Adapter Plug- Type J. (A set of 3).
The plug has three prongs with the middle one slightly higher than the other two...is that the right adapter?

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Yes and no. The Type J adapter is what you'll need, if you need a grounded adapter. Most people don't need a grounded adapter. If you're just using a two prong plug (like for a phone or camera charger), you don't need a grounded adapter, just a two pin adapter. The advantage of the two pin adapters is that they can be used everywhere in Europe (except the UK) and in many other countries. The grounded adapters are much more country specific.
  • I can't remember exactly what our room was like in Basel, but I know I didn't have any adapter accept the simple 2 round prongs European style that I bought at Target.

You might check out the web sites for each hotel and see what they say about electric plugs in their rooms. Some of the newer hotel rooms have USB plugs so no adapter is needed. Most hotels have adapters they will loan you if you don't have the right one.
  • Thanks everyone for your input.
    I called Tauck and was told that they recommend a website called Voltage Valet when it comes to adapters that are used in each country.
    I then emailed the first hotel we are staying at in Switzerland and asked them about power adapters. The reply I got was yes, the Type J adapter is what they use. They did say that there would be an adapter in the room.
    I am not sure what will be available in the other hotels.
    I went to the Voltage Valet website and they charge $9 for just one adapter.
    On amazon, a set of three Type J adapters is $9.99
    I am not sure why there is such a price difference. If anyone checks out the two websites and has an opinion, let me know.
    Hope this helps Switzerland travelers.
  • Sue M wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    I called Tauck and was told that they recommend a website called Voltage Valet when it comes to adapters that are used in each country.
    I then emailed the first hotel we are staying at in Switzerland and asked them about power adapters. The reply I got was yes, the Type J adapter is what they use. They did say that there would be an adapter in the room.
    I am not sure what will be available in the other hotels.
    I went to the Voltage Valet website and they charge $9 for just one adapter.
    On amazon, a set of three Type J adapters is $9.99
    I am not sure why there is such a price difference. If anyone checks out the two websites and has an opinion, let me know.
    Hope this helps Switzerland travelers.
    Just buy one adapter and a travel size, multioutlet powerstrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file