Shows & Theaters

My husband and I would like to attend dinner and a theater/show within walking distance of the Savoy. We have heard a taxi is difficult to commandeer after the show .... if possible, please suggest theaters within walking distance.

We are traveling in August.

Thank you, Linda:)

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I just got back from London yesterday and saw two shows, but we stayed at the Conrad St James and walked to both theatres. I have also stayed at the Savoy and I cannot recall the names of the theaters nearby but there are at least four. The one showing Kinky Boots is almost within feet of the Savoy, I saw that two years ago, got tickets in the morning for the show, 20 pounds! Just look up the address of the Savoy. I think it is on the Strand and look at shows you fancy and see where the theatre is in relation to the Savoy.
    Taxis and Uber rides are easy to come by I think we waited two minutes for those at most and London taxis now take credit cards. We used both to save time and also it was cold and windy.
    This time we saw Hamilton and The Ferryman. We ate at the Shard ( view wonderful food too adventurous for its own good, my Marmite and chocolate dessert was not nice, they kick you out after two hours) the Oxo tower, great food and service. a Place called Thomas Cubbitt which I think was in Belgravia, excellent food and service in a lovely old setting. Ate at a couple of chain type places, expensive and not good. Ate at the. Omar’s, excellent food and service.
    You could always eat at the Savoy before you go to the theatre. Don’t forget London shows begin earlier than on the US.
  • We did this tour last June and opted for Kinky Boots at the Adelphi just a few minutes walk from the hotel. Really enjoyed the show. The Lyceum and Aldwych are close too. Just google "convent garden theaters" and there is a website that lists at least a dozen. Check out what they are showing and then use google maps to figure out walking distance.

There is actually a Savoy theater that is currently showing Dreamgirls (it was last year as well) but that wasn't one of the shows that Tauck offered for our free dinner/theater night out.

Enjoy
  • Linda, there are lots of West End theatres within walking distance of the Savoy -- especially since you'll be walking in July, and not January. You can google a map of the theatre district and then check out what's playing where on line. You can also get same day tickets at a discount at the kiosk in Leicester Square (also within walking distance of the Savoy). It's like the TKTS booth in Times Square in NYC and takes credit cards. I've never tried to combine dinner with theatre in London. You can always grab a quick bite at a pub or the cafe in the crypt at St. Martin-in-the Fields.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file