TERRACOTTA WARRIORS

I go on this tour in 2019 and just read this interesting article. Does anyone who has been on the tour know if Zhao is given credit for the. Discovery of the Warriors when you go to the museum?

Zhao Kangmin: The man who 'discovered' China's terracotta army http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-44244493

Comments

• We were there a couple of years ago, it is a superb part of the trip. We got a very detailed history of the project and saw a gentlemen putting together recently found pieces.

They told us about the person who found the original pieces, I don't remember if they gave his name
  • Hi British - You're not asking about vaccinations? :-)

I saw that article, as well. I was on this trip last year. I don't remember if the name specifically mentioned, but they did tell the story about the farmer digging a well and finding the pieces. There's also a sign near the front left corner of the excavation marking the site where the first fragments were found when the well was dug. The entire museum is very well done. It's really an amazing place and the pictures don't do it justice (as opposed to Stonehenge, which for me, was a "yeah, looks like the pictures" moment).
  • edited May 2018
    BKMD wrote:
    Hi British - You're not asking about vaccinations? :-)

I saw that article, as well. I was on this trip last year. I don't remember if the name specifically mentioned, but they did tell the story about the farmer digging a well and finding the pieces. There's also a sign near the front left corner of the excavation marking the site where the first fragments were found when the well was dug. The entire museum is very well done. It's really an amazing place and the pictures don't do it justice (as opposed to Stonehenge, which for me, was a "yeah, looks like the pictures" moment).

Tee Hee BKMD, I rarely have vaccination questions, I prefer to educate people to consider having them.
    From my reading of the article I mention, it sounds as if the farmer got all the recognition and even sold a lot of the arrow heads he found for scrap. It was only when Zhao arrived that they were recognized as important artifacts.
    Stonehenge, I have to confess I have never been to Stonehenge ????. But I have been to a fantastic stone circle in Scotland and ones in France. So I hope that will redeem me from never going to that iconic place.
  • British, I noted that you are going on this trip in 2019. Which time of year did you choose--spring or fall. I know you might not wish to give your exact tour date, but perhaps you might share the month. I am asking because I have read many of your posts, know that you travel a lot with Tauck, and am sure you have done quite a bit of research and have put a lot of thought into you decision.
  • edited May 2018
    HuntNfun wrote:
    British, I noted that you are going on this trip in 2019. Which time of year did you choose--spring or fall. I know you might not wish to give your exact tour date, but perhaps you might share the month. I am asking because I have read many of your posts, know that you travel a lot with Tauck, and am sure you have done quite a bit of research and have put a lot of thought into you decision.

Hello HuntNFun! Things have changed for us this past year because Mr B has retired, so we can do more traveling but we still have some restrictions.......first, we love being home in the summer when most people like to travel because having lived in England until our forties, we still love the fact that our part of the USA has such lovely long summers and we like to be at home then, we love to swim and I am a very keen gardener, so we try to only go away one time during that long period. Second, we only dare go away one time between February and the end of May early June unless it is for just a few days because every year at that time we are in a show, so we don't like to miss more than a few rehearsals, we are allowed to miss four, this year we missed more, had to struggle to learn the choreography and were threatened with having to re-audition to prove we knew the music and moves, ahhhh! I think we were away three times this spring.
    So to answer your question, we choose our destination and then look at the weather for that destination for the time of year we want to go and decide if we can cope with the expected temperatures. We do not like very hot or cold weather and we don't want to go places in monsoon season or their rainy season if it is Africa. The other thing we have to watch is that if it is a destination that requires a visa, we have to be sure we are not traveling just before then so that we can get our visas. It's actually a real pain figuring this out, when we get back from China, we have only a few weeks to get our Visas for our following trip. We looked into having a second passport, but in realty it's only allowed in very restricted circumstances. This problem actually influenced when we travelled on the Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos tour this past winter, we would have preferred to go in January, not February but had to allow time to get our Visas after returning from another tour in December.
    So after this list of explanations....we are going in mid October 2019, we know China will be cooler, but that is easier for site seeing. Hong Kong should not be too rainy... Mr B is excited to be finally taking me to Hong Kong since he has been there several times in the past, before China took over.
    So maybe our 'planning' is less scientific than you thought!
  • Somebody says that it is this farmer who first found the pieces

Yang Zhifa.

Check this wiki article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Zhifa

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file