Category 3 cabins

Can someone give a review of these cabins? Although they are larger, they are on the lower level and I have some concerns about that. Thanks,

Comments

• I assume you mean the Cat 3 Loft staterooms on the Ms Savor or Inspire...

We've never stayed in one but a relative did on their first cruise and loved it. I got to tour it and it was very nice. Lots of light and space. The sitting area next to the windows was used often and the bathroom is a large as the Cat 5 and above rooms. They're the only lower level rooms I would consider.

I've read lots of reviews about them and other than some minor water noise issues the first season they were launched, all the reviews I've read are positive.

Here are a couple of other sources.

USA Today's website has photo slide shows of the Inspire and the Savor which have really good photos of all the ships and all the staterooms. Here is a link to the Inspire starting at the loft room

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/cruises/2015/07/06/cruise-ship-tours-taucks-inspire/29500665/

There is a couple who have a cruise travel website called Cruise Report. They have been on several Tauck river cruises and have reviews with lots of details about the ships and the itinerary. I've attached a link to their Rhine/Moselle cruise on the Grace which was their second in a loft room. There are other reviews as well. I've found them very helpful.

http://www.cruisereport.com/crLine.aspx?id=1217
  • We stayed in the cat 3 loft on MS Savor Blue Danube. Our traveling companions had a suite. I liked our cat 3 better than the suite. It’s a great room. We got it on the waitlist, and other passengers told us they were trying to get one on their original reservation and could not. All the window treatments have controls in the loft, and at the bedside. You have one and a half decks of windows that go wall to wall. The loft was actually my ‘dressing room’ while my wife used the main deck. On our next Tauck riverboat, it will definitely be a cat 3 loft.
  • edited June 2018
    We were in a Cat 3 Loft on MS Joy on Blue Danube two months ago- the best deal going!- bigger (225 sq ft vs 190 sq ft) but cheaper than Cat 4 & Diamond Deck Cat 5 Cabins and the same size as Ruby Deck Cat 5s and Cat 6 cabins. Better bathroom arrangement than Cat 4 & 5 too.

Contrary to a few previous reports, no engine, mechanical or water noises. The reception area is between decks so you need to go up or down stairs to get to cabin decks, but there is an elevator near the stairs.
  • The noise reports were only on the first season. After getting complaints about it Scylla made some changes. Having said that, all staterooms have some weird noises on occasion. If the ship is hauling up stream overnight and going through locks everyone is going to get some noise - engines, bow/stern thrusters, bumps, etc. Our Cat 6 on the Sapphire last year had some strange squeaks from the wall between the bed and the bath when underway. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. Worst noise we ever had was the Cat 4 on the Inspire (triangular shaped room at the front of the Ruby deck) where we got a fair amount of lobby noise.
  • If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. Worst noise we ever had was the Cat 4 on the Inspire (triangular shaped room at the front of the Ruby deck) where we got a fair amount of lobby noise.

If you hear anything you aren't tired enough and didn't make the most of the day's excursions!!! : )
  • Or maybe I'm still young enough to have my hearing. :)
  • edited June 2018
    Or maybe I'm still young enough to have my hearing. :)

SAY WHAT?? : )

I'm sure it is not age! ;~) I may be old but I'm slow too! Among other reasons like woodworking machinery, it was the jet noise (in the aircraft and on the flight deck) during my flying days. The audiologist said my hearing loss encompasses frequencies in the range women normally talk. : ) : )
  • Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information.
  • AlanS wrote:

SAY WHAT?? : )

I'm sure it is not age! ;~) I may be old but I'm slow too! Among other reasons like woodworking machinery, it was the jet noise (in the aircraft and on the flight deck) during my flying days. The audiologist said my hearing loss encompasses frequencies in the range women normally talk. : ) : )

That’s funny. We flew in the same planes and have the same problem. Went to an A-3 reunion and dedication ceremony up at Whidbey a couple years ago. Everyone was that kind of deaf and also most of us have tinitus.
  • Have done 2 trips with cat. 3 both times. A little noise but not much. Plus you are close to the exercise room and the spa. Would do it again.
  • You haven't heard "noise" until you've tried sleeping on an aircraft carrier! It is a floating metal city that never sleeps! And try sleeping under the catapults or arresting gear, or just about anywhere just below the flight deck. Carriers often conduct flight operations 24 hrs a day! Now that is ship noise!!! But we were often so tired and conditioned to the noise that we actually slept.
  • We loved the layout and spaciousness of our Category 3 cabin on the Ms Inspire, and we never heard any noise. Would highly recommend it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file