Hey, don't forget this, if you have a DSLR!

Reminder/Doug’s Tips

For those of you with heavier cameras and lenses, a skill that one might practice before going on Safari, to eliminate the blur from camera shake, is to hold the camera in a way to support it — in other words, here is how to make your body and face become two tripods!

For you right handed guys with right-handed cameras, support the lens with your left hand, WITH YOUR LEFT ELBOW RESTING OVER YOUR LEFT NIPPLE. (I don’t know how females do it, but I’m not going there. LOL).
The RIGHT elbow also presses against the chest.
Squeeze your elbows together.
Press the camera against your face — this now forms three points to stabilize the camera and form another tripod.
The camera itself rests on the eyepiece, and some portion of the face. I wear glasses so the second point of contact is my nose. This forms another tripod.
You position your FEET so that the right foot is forward, forming another tripod with your body, particularly if you can lean against a wall or something.
You can click the shutter on either the out breath or the in-breath; various books say the out-breath produces less camera shake. You have to experiment and see what works for you — take a series of pictures using both, and keep lowering the shutter speed.
Bring a plastic bag and put it in your hip pocket. If your can, use the bag for your right knee, when kneeling, to get those low-angle, really cool shots, that others don’t want to do!

My nephew, who is a pro photographer, says how you hold the camera instantly identifies you as to your skill level. So don’t blame me for that thought. LOL.

Doug

I don't know how you add pictures to the forum, but you might have to copy and paste the links below to see how I hold the camera.

[https://photos.smugmug.com/Camera-Grip-Photos/i-CFCpMpF/0/8d826380/X5/Camera Support_Side View-X5.jpg]
[https://photos.smugmug.com/Camera-Grip-Photos/i-6KGnh3k/0/7be91d02/X5/Camera Support_Frontal-X5.jpg]

Comments

• Hi Doug
    This only works if you're flat chested.... LOLO!! :)) Just joking... Thanks for the info. very helpful and I just realized
    that I have been getting into the correct position naturally... Please share some more tips... love them.
    Have a lovely weekend.

• Resting one elbow on my belly works great too. lol
  • Hi Mileg!

Didn't really want to go there, if you're not flat chested. LOL.

One more tip:

Notice the guy's left eye is closed? I prefer to keep both eyes open. Seems we learned that in college bio with microscopes.

One advantage, with the camera, is that you can shift attention from one eye to the other, comparing your normal field of vision and the overall picture to what you see through the zoom lens. I think there's less tension in your face when you do it that way.

Doug
  • Hi AshvEd!

BTW, belly very good. But

1. You have to be relatively well endowed.

2. If you start laughing, like in The Night Before Christmas, you get some rather abstract images.

:)

Doug
  • Lolo!! yes I do keep both eyes open... so I focus with one and keep the other on the tour group since I'm always staying behind taking pictures....
    Dough ,one thing I'm concern is the dust and having to change lenses...I'm using 2 & I'm thinking on taking a tope bag and changing them inside... I'm also taking all the cleaning equipment (brushes-liquid etc..) it is a mini kid so is not going to take much space.. Any other suggestion?
    Thanks in advance... :)
  • My instructor, Jay Dickman of Putlitzer Prize, Nat Geo fame, said the dust issue is a little too overblown. But I'm careful anyway.

1. Be sure to turn off the power, as you know, if you leave it on and change lenses, the sensor will attract dust.

2. Point the camera body downward in changing lenses.

3. Don't change lenses while the vehicle is moving and the dust is flying around.

4. I just brought my micro-fiber jacket, as mentioned previously, and used it as a a) lens changing bag b) as a camera wrap (for TWO cameras) placed in my lap, when not using the camera c) to wipe dust off the camera d) as a hood over my head and body while taking pictures in the moving vehicle, through the window, to ELIMINATE GLARE AND REFLECTIONS FROM THE WINDOW! IT WORKS!

5. I also try to wait for a restroom stop before changing lenses.

But, the best solution is to bring two cameras and hang them from your shoulders. You avoid all the hassle and have the selection of wide vs. long or long vs longer without batting an eyelash. That's why I went to lighter cameras (OMD-EM-1 Mark IIs).

Have a great trip Mileg!
  • Mileg,

You know, you spend tens of thousands of dollars on the trip, so why not just buy another camera body and be done with it. The Black Rapid Dual strap is marvelous -- it takes the weight off your neck and puts the camera weight on your shoulders. The only thing is, when you get in and out of the Safari vehicle or bus, you grab both and push them toward your tummy so as not to bang them getting out. Other than that, you have FULL FUNCTIONALITY as a photographer, and you don't have to worry about lens changing, not having the right lens for that shot you might lose, etc.

It's just that you look a little dorky carrying two cameras. LOL

Doug
  • Mileg,

If you have to, blame it on me! Just tell your wife that this jerk on the Tauck Forum said to buy another camera body!

LOL.

Doug
  • You know, Mileg, to each his own.

My wife bought tons of (unnecessary) Safari clothes -- expensive, Permithian stuff -- and wore it once. Guys, on the other hand, have a different type of toy -- gear! And you can use it over and over again, or at least until you feel it's "obsolete". LOL

Doug
  • Doug et al. I am all into gear too. It’s probably a guy thing.
  • :)))) :)))) :)))) thanks Doug.
    Great info!

But I have to tell you.... even though I love my camera gear, sailing and many other guys stuff .... I also love my expensive safari clothes (Ralph Laurent looks awesome) , cool safari hat with an attach sunflower ( want to be silly & have fun.._) :))) and I'm already missing my high heels. :))

Yeap!! you got it, I'm a girl ;))))

I guess ... since I have always gotten along better with guys I think like one... :)) and NO! you are not a jerk. :)
    Thanks for all the info.

• LOL. Actually, we've had a lot of girls on the Muench workshops I've attended. I shouldn't have assumed, but usually don't expect gear talk from females.

My other hobby is giant scale RC airplanes, and there are no girls in our club. Don't think I've seen a female pilot in our entire state.

Anyway, have a great time. But consider a second camera if you don't have one -- you really need a back-up if photography is a key component of the trip for you. On my KT trip there was a female photographer and a hubby that carried the equipment for her. It was kind of cute.

Doug
  • I gave up on the idea of changing lenses in the bush pretty early on our first safari. I used only the telephoto zoom in the bush, and I used the ‘normal’ zoom lens around the lodges and camps. If you have your shorter focal length lens on the camera while in the bush you will miss something ... either a good photo, or you might miss an entire event if you are totally engaged in the lens changing process. I will carry one camera with one ‘mounted’ lens, and a small pair of binoculars. I will have the ‘short’ lens with me for only one purpose. When arriving at your lodge for the first time there is normally a ‘surprise’.
  • edited June 2018
    Mileg, I can’t remember without looking thru the forum whether you are doing The Botswana.... tour. This requires climbing up pretty high into the vehicle, much more challenging than K and T vehicles so you may have to hand your cameras up to someone in the vehicle before you get in. You don’t want to risk dropping or banging your cameras getting in.
    Dust....one of the reasons I have just bought a new camera is because the dust was so bad in Namibia that my lens will not close up properly and it is not the sort of lens that you have to change. I kept it in a ziplock bag all the time. Unless you are absolutely obsessed with photos, look at them frequently, want to boast and show your photos to lots of people or want to make large copies to display in your home as we have done recently, I think I would agree with Sealord who I noticed just posted something to that affect. Few of our friends are interested in leaving the US and have no interest in Africa, so we just enjoy looking at our photos and recall the vacation that way.
  • milmil
    edited June 2018
    thanks guys...
    British my friend... you have been quiet lately.. nice to hear from you again. No I haven't done Botswana, I'm thinking about it.. maybe next year but I also would love to do Bali & Singapore, new one for Tauck.

Doug ,I do have a second camera I could take , so depending on the final weight.. I'll decided if I take both. my initial plan was camera + cell phone with a set of different lenses.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61QzinA6xrL._SL1001_.jpg but know

Knowing myself I will take everything 2 cameras, cell phone..... you name it. :))

Doug I could take my caddy with me :)))
    Bye.

• edited June 2018
    Mileg,

I've used this for years -- no neck aches, hangs off your shoulders, extremely comfortable.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278406-REG/blackrapid_361003_double_breathe_strap.html

Did not find it difficult to get out of vehicles with this -- just cradled the two cameras with one arm, and used the other arm to pull myself up into the vehicle; shortened the straps so cameras hang at waist level. You have instant use of either camera. No dust issues due to changing lenses. I had two cameras, one with a 80-420mm equivalent, the other 840mm equivalent. Both cameras were pro cameras and were sealed against water and dust.

With the dual straps, and a photo vest, I really didn't even need a backpack, unless I wanted to carry another lens and various sundries.

Doug

• Crumbs Doug, on all our five Safari tours I don’t think I have ever seen anyone with more than one camera!
  • Just returned from an Advanced Photoworkshop in Dubois, Wyoming, with a world famous photographer-instructor. We did the City Slickers thing -- and, to show you what you can do swinging, two cameras, pardner, here is a link -- probably my best work yet.

It's not Africa, so if you think I'm off topic, don't peek. LOL. Mileg -- I think you'll love this. Rough, tough, cowgirls!

https://iluv2fly.smugmug.com/Select-Images-From-First-Light-Workshop-June-2018/n-F2Jkxm/

Doug
  • milmil
    edited July 2018
    Doug !!
    OMG! those are Amazing shots! Yes I love them....
    Starting with the elements ... I love horses, rodeos and of course good looking Wranglers.. :)) My fav. one the very first one.. "Boneyard", the light and dust all around it looks beautiful also #4-5-6, the other ones that are amazing and also Fav. are the River Crossing and the soaking riders.... you have a great action camera.
    Thanks for sharing. I change my Comp. background with the River Crossing one. Oh, by the way... I got my Visas today! so I'm ready. :)) 48 days...
    Thanks!!

• Thank you very much. I just got them back from mounting and hung Boneyard and a couple of others in my Man Cave -- on archival print paper. They turned out very. very nice. Such a fun course -- and of course, everyone had 2 -3 cameras hanging from their necks -- advanced and professional photographers.

If you ever get the chance, go do it, you will learn so much -- and the instructor is a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer. He limits class size to 10. But it's hard work, dawn to dusk, with critiques in-between.

Doug
  • BTW, for those of you that wish to know, the "Action" shots are not difficult, they just take some patience. Set the camera at 1/50th of a second, and pan -- twist your body, but set the camera on burst mode -- perhaps 5 frames per second.

Being new at it, I only got , maybe 30% usable pictures or less, so you do a lot of deleting. But the pictures you do get are really nice, and quite extraordinary.

Hope this helps.

Doug

• Mileg,

Have a wonderful time. My thinking is that you might get a cheetah running, and you can really get a fantastic image if you use the technique above.

Best wishes,

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file