Rainforest

I read that the rooms at Silky Oaks Lodge are treehouses. What is the access to them? Also, how isolated are the rooms? I went to the hotel website, but couldn't find the answers to those questions.

Next question: What sort of footwear is appropriate for the rainforest? Do I need hiking type sneakers or are lighter weight closed shoes (like Sketchers) ok?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited August 2018
    MCD wrote:
    I read that the rooms at Silky Oaks Lodge are treehouses. What is the access to them? Also, how isolated are the rooms? I went to the hotel website, but couldn't find the answers to those questions.

Next question: What sort of footwear is appropriate for the rainforest? Do I need hiking type sneakers or are lighter weight closed shoes (like Sketchers) ok?

Thanks for your help.

I not sure if your concern is fear of heights or ability to negotiate stairs, but pictures are worth a thousand words. I haven't been (yet) but it appears from the photos on the Silky Oaks website and TripAdvisor at this link, that the main lodge/dining/lounge, etc. are elevated on raised platforms overlooking the Mossman river. The main areas appear to mostly all on one level. The "tree house" rooms which appear strung out along the river and straddle the main building, appear to be mostly elevated, but to varying degrees, with a mix of elevated, slightly raised, or ground level walkways (both gravel/asphalt(?) and wood plank connecting them. The number of stair steps to reach them appears to vary. All elevated open areas (treehouse room verandas, main lodged dining room, etc.) are surrounded by substantial railings-with solid hardwood or steel top rails and closely-space, strong, taut, horizontal stainless steel cables between vertical posts. The cables are not only stronger than other materials, but they allow a much better view of the surrounding rain forest- they are almost invisible in the photos below. Ground level and near-ground paths and walkways appear to have less substantial railings. Below are some photos that were of suitable size (smaller than 640 px wide) to post here. I found them by Googling the Silky Oaks Lodge then selecting "images". There are tons more at the link.

As to shoes, I would think any type of closed toe sneaker would be fine, but more important is that whatever footwear you chose, it should have relatively non-slip soles.

tree-house-in-daintree.jpg

silky-oaks-lodge-healing.jpg

ev2vxCMpYLuPmF_400x300.jpg

5jpb3AS0NrL826Z9_640x426.jpg

• I was on this trip two years ago. Probably my favorite Tauck trip.

The cabins are all individual, kinda like summer camp cabins, or if you went with Tauck to Macchu Picchu and stayed in Agua Caliente, same type of thing. My cabin looked like pics 1 and 2 above. The area is fairly hilly. As I recall, the front of the cabins are all road/path accessible, and the backs may be significantly above ground level. There will be some steps, but you won't need to climb ladders or anything like that. It's a beautiful place. One thing I couldn't figure out is how a place in the middle of the jungle, with 99% humidity, had no bugs in the dining area, as it's all open. Either they must spray the crap out of it (which I didn't smell), or there are ultrasonic devices everywhere (which I didn't see).

If you go on the hike out the back down to the river, be careful of brushing against any foliage, and check yourself carefully. One of our trip members wound up with several leeches on her legs.
  • Thank you, Alan and BKMD. I did not see those photos on the hotel website. They are reassuring. I'm fine with climbing stairs, but was not looking forward to climbing any ladder to get to the tree house. I did stay at Aguas Calientes with Tauck last year. I did not care for the hotel. I'm a solo traveler and felt isolated. Thanks for the warning about the leeches. I don't like critters of any kind, so a rainforest is not my first choice of habitat. I may stay indoors.
  • We took the Grand Australia/New Zealand trip in September/October of 2017. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Silky Oaks Lodge. The pictures Alan posted are very typical of the cabins and the common areas. There are a few steps up to the porch of each cabin but they are certainly easy to negotiate. There are nice walks leading to the cabins, restaurant, etc. I wore my regular tennis shoes and had no problems. We spent the free day relaxing - I made a spa appointment, we did a little hiking, and I read while lying in the hammock. I have some of my pictures posted - if you would like to see a few more of Silky Oaks Lodge (and others), you will find them at sharingtravelmemories.com/queensland-and-the-great-barrier-reef/
  • Thank you for posting the link to your photos, Chris. They are amazing! I've gone through all of them for this trip, and plan to return to them several times before and after my trip in October. I also plan to look at the photos from your other travels.
  • We did this trip in 2007, and after that Tauck went to other sites for the Queensland piece. We are glad to see Tauck return to Silky Oaks; we loved our time there. It is, after all, in a rainforest, and, surprise, surprise, it rains there! Our “cabin” was lovely, and we were a ways away from the main lodge. One of our best memories is swimming in the pool after our Great Barrier Reef excursion. We were the only ones in the pool. Suddenly the heavens opened up and it poured! What a great experience! This is a wonderful site and we enjoyed our time here. Perhaps our greatest challenge was figuring out the clock/ dvd wake up! It took me a lot of time, and I managed to figure out how to use the “ native bird” wake up alarm. Sent my husband bolt upright that morning,sure we were being invaded by avian invaders, but I figured it was payback for the time I spent figuring out the alarm! Fun travel memories!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file