Options

iPad

Has anyone had a problem clearing security with an iPad? Can it be used in the cabin? Many thanks to you kind souls who have patiently answered questions. It is so valuable. My husband and I will be on the August 29 tour. We were scheduled on this trip last year but had to cancel 4 days prior to leaving. Shingles. I have to say, thanks to the trip insurance, our money was refunded very quickly.

Comments

• Options
    Did this trip 2 years ago with an iPad. Had no problems. Most of the time I had to go to the lobby area of the lodges to get Wifi. Great trip. You will have a ball.
  • Options
    Never had problems taking an iPad through airport security in any country including African ones. Most times it has to be put separately in one of the trays there, but not always. Read the information at security in every airport you go through. You can use your iPad in the plane cabin in ‘airplane mode’. Just got off a plane and used mine.
  • Options
    Never had a problem.
  • Options
    No problem with security UNLESS you are traveling through the dreaded Heathrow! Then you will probably have to remove it from its protective case leaving it a bit vulnerable. Do you mean the airplane cabin or lodging cabin? If it is airplane, you will just have to power down during takeoffs and landings. For the inter- country flights, you would not want to be using your iPad as there is so much to look at plus not a lot of room to use it. Oh, did I make this more complicated than it needed to be?
  • Options
    joycesw wrote:
    No problem with security UNLESS you are traveling through the dreaded Heathrow! Then you will probably have to remove it from its protective case leaving it a bit vulnerable. Do you mean the airplane cabin or lodging cabin? If it is airplane, you will just have to power down during takeoffs and landings. For the inter- country flights, you would not want to be using your iPad as there is so much to look at plus not a lot of room to use it. Oh, did I make this more complicated than it needed to be?

Oh Joyce, not more trouble at Heathrow. We were last there in April and did not have to take our iPad covers off. We were at Glasgow Scotland airport today, did not have to have iPhone out but did have to remove larger electronics. Did not have to remove iPad covers.
  • Options
    Oh, I think you are correct, British! I think I automatically took my ipad out as I have always done. We got held up as hubby had his iphone buried in his backpack and had to go back through security. Fortunately, it was the fast line! I am going to have to confiscate his cellphone as it seems to get us into trouble worldwide! Last year he realized he did not have it after going through security in Korea on the "Land of the Rising Sun" trip. It was no where to be found, and we had to continue on. A fellow traveler called his phone, and that is when the security personnel chased after him with the phone! Guess it had somehow fallen out of the tray within the machine, which doesn't bode well for the efficacy of the x-ray machine! I suspect I will have to confiscate his phone whenever we travel!!
    On another note that is so off this topic...Did you get to any of the Fringe Festival events in Edinburgh?? I wondered if it was as interesting as we head heard.
  • Options
    Yes a couple, just about to go to sleep. Will put a mini review about Edinburgh on one of the U.K. Sections tomorrow. I'm feeling good, we are all unpacked and I have done all the laundry! Nightie night!
  • Options
    Returned from this trip 2 weeks ago. No problem with security and tablet on any flights. Dont think i had to remove it from carryon on any flights. In some lodges in Kenya and Tanzanis we had working WIFI in our rooms. In others it worked occasionally. In all it worked in the reception area

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file