Nov. 16, 2018 Patagonia Tour

My wife and I will be taking our first Tauck tour -- the Patagonia tour that begins on November 16, 2018 in Santiago. I've read all the posts about this tour, and I found them helpful. I know that there have been some changes to the tour, so I thought I'd start a thread for those who are going on this tour soon, and for those who have done it in the past. For example, Tauck has had to change the hotel in Buenos Aires, the one still listed in the brochure, because it is now permanently closed.

I will be writing several newspaper columns about the tour (a hobby of mine), and since we'll arrive in Santiago a day early, and staying an extra day in Buenos Aires, I want to ensure that we're seeing the highlights in these cities. (Note: Not big into museums. Want to spend more time in the streets, eating street food, and mixing with people.)

Comments

• I'll be on this trip in December. The Alvear Palace, which replaced Sofitel, is supposed to be beautiful and has great reviews online. Looking forward to it!
  • I always wanted to go on this tour; it's on my Tauck bucket list. I can tell you the Alvear Palace is one beautiful property! Been there a few years ago on an independent trip to BA. Near the Recoleta, very nice area. If you get free time, don't miss going to the Carlos Gardel Museum and the El Ateneo book shop. Lovely city!
  • We are on this trip in October...cant wait! Using Sports Tour Chile for a day trip of Vina Del Mar, Valparaiso and the vineyards
  • We are on this trip in October...cant wait! Using Sports Tour Chile for a day trip of Vina Del Mar, Valparaiso and the vineyards
    Will that be on the day the tour begins? If so, you'll get back in time for the 6 PM dinner?

When you return, please post how you like this day tour. I'm on the Dec trip and considering that for day 1.
  • My wife and I will be taking our first Tauck tour -- the Patagonia tour that begins on November 16, 2018 in Santiago. I've read all the posts about this tour, and I found them helpful. I know that there have been some changes to the tour, so I thought I'd start a thread for those who are going on this tour soon, and for those who have done it in the past. For example, Tauck has had to change the hotel in Buenos Aires, the one still listed in the brochure, because it is now permanently closed.

I will be writing several newspaper columns about the tour (a hobby of mine), and since we'll arrive in Santiago a day early, and staying an extra day in Buenos Aires, I want to ensure that we're seeing the highlights in these cities. (Note: Not big into museums. Want to spend more time in the streets, eating street food, and mixing with people.)
  • My wife and I will be taking our first Tauck tour -- the Patagonia tour that begins on November 16, 2018 in Santiago. I've read all the posts about this tour, and I found them helpful. I know that there have been some changes to the tour, so I thought I'd start a thread for those who are going on this tour soon, and for those who have done it in the past. For example, Tauck has had to change the hotel in Buenos Aires, the one still listed in the brochure, because it is now permanently closed.

Please share your detailed impressions (and advice) on this trip once your return. Tauck will let you do a "short" review that will be part of their tour description. But you can put much more info in the Travel Forum. Thank you and have fun!
  • BKMD wrote:
    I'll be on this trip in December. The Alvear Palace, which replaced Sofitel, is supposed to be beautiful and has great reviews online. Looking forward to it!

Looking forward to reading a detailed review on this trip from you. Please write about it in the travel forum where you can include much more information. Mr. Cat and I are considering doing this trip, but probably not until JFM 2020. Mr. Cat wants to see Patagonia!
  • All: I'm going to prepare more of a list of tips and updates to other trip reports here once I return. Carol Fernandez: Did you return from your Patagonia trip yet? I'm thinking about a trip Valparaiso, but I can't find Sports Tour Chile anywhere on the internet. How did that go? Did you do it on the day of the evening meeting with the tour director?
  • The tour takes about ten hours, we inquired but decided there was not time on the day of the tour beginning. Apparently it is a 2 and a half hour drive to Valparaiso
  • We did not go to Valparaiso on the day the tour begins, but we did take an excursion oitside of Santiago to the wine country. We went to see Emiliana Organic Vineyard, and it was very enjoyable. Lots of vineyard tours to choose from. I think that we set kt ip ahead of time...something I found on the onternet. We had a driver pick us ip at the hotel, take us to the wine country, and return us to the hotel...all in time to get ready for the welcome party. It was quite inexpensive to get a car and driver. Look online, or email the concierge at the hotel. A lot of people were setting things up through him on the afternoon after we arrived from the airport. Have fun.
    Nancy
  • Dixie - Did the welcome party begin at 6 PM?
  • BKMD wrote:
    Dixie - Did the welcome party begin at 6 PM?

Probably, they usually begin at 6:00 or 6:30. It nas been too long, and I do not remember. Call Tauck and ask. They should know by now.
  • It is not uncommon for the time of the Welcome dinner to be different than stated in the green book, we seem to see this happen more and more, even of it is only a half hour difference.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file