snakes

Sadly, I am snakephobic! Other reptiles are fine. Not a question of poison (mainly), just repulsion. How many did you see? How likely am I to have a stroke seeing one. I make a lot of noise as I walk as they feel vibrations.
Also, not to sound completely paranoid, but do guides carry rifles in case something big decides to charge little bitty tourists?

Comments

• edited September 2018
    We did not see any snakes. Remember that most of the time you will be in a safari vehicle, not walking about, apart from the walking with rhinos and there it is imperative that you walk in single file behind the first guide, keeping close together with another guide at the rear. That way, the rhinos don’t realize you are individuals. I can’t recall rifles, only place I recall those is on South Africa safaris. And the last thing you want to do is be noisy out on safari or you will be very unpopular with everyone.
  • On the Rhino tour at Livingston the rangers had guns, and at Eagle Island someone had a gun to fire a warning shot to chase away a rogue elephant. Never saw a snake in three trips. The guns are not intended for the animals, they are intended for people ... poachers.
  • The Okavango delta in Botswana is a major python and anaconda breeding ground. While extremely large, neither are venomous but they can be found in large numbers and become very aggressive while mating and when protecting their young. They have been known to drop out of trees onto the mokoro canoes causing them to capsize. You must stay vigilant. Just kidding, no snakes! : )
  • I went in May, I hate snakes, did not see one. Big spiders yes, snakes no.
  • Ok, if you want to scare people Alan ???? we were charged by a lone hippo in one of those canoes and I was very frightened. But I am still here and going back to Africa again.
  • edited September 2018
    British wrote:
    Ok, if you want to scare people Alan ???? we were charged by a lone hippo in one of those canoes and I was very frightened. But I am still here and going back to Africa again.

What about the Zebra at the Royal Livingstone?!?!? Spiders don't bother me, but my wife is not a fan, to say the least!

I was a bit concerned, but just a bit, that my disclaimer text was too small for people with eyesight like mine, but then thought what the heck, gotta lighten things up! ????

Actually, I posted about snakes on this sub-forum about a year ago(see post #49 at this link). Truthfully and unfortunately, unlike Ireland, there are indeed snakes in Botswana and some of them are venomous, but I don't believe there have been any forum reports of anyone seeing them. Here is what I posted last year (not a joke, but copied from reputable sources- I added highlights):

"Botswana's dry lands are home to over 150 species of reptiles. These include 72 species of snakes, such as the poisonous Mozambique spitting cobra, Egyptian cobra and black mamba. Although about 80% of snakes in Botswana are not venomous, watch out for the common and deadly puff adder."

In general, snakes are afraid of and usually avoid humans. Your guides will watch out for you.
  • I’ve only seen one snake in Africa and that was either in Kenya or Tanzania
  • Thanks for tonight's nightmare, Alan! I'll be rowing down some river with snakes dropping out of trees and wake myself up trying to scream....egads!
  • Thank you all very much, except for Alan who had me cancelling my trip before reading the tiny writing! You are devilish ;-). Seriously happy to hear no sightings & I will walk softly as you suggest. Bring on the rhinos, spiders, etc., only bothered by the slitherers.
  • Rare double-headed snake found in garden in Virginia http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45618659

This is just for you Sherri
  • sherri c wrote:
    Thank you all very much, except for Alan who had me cancelling my trip before reading the tiny writing! You are devilish ;-). Seriously happy to hear no sightings & I will walk softly as you suggest. Bring on the rhinos, spiders, etc., only bothered by the slitherers.

I'm glad you noticed the small print : ) Have a great trip. We go next May and I can't wait.

Speaking of creepy crawling things, on Day 7 at Camp Kalahari, you have the opportunity to take a "walking safari with the local San Bushmen, learning how they use their legendary hunting and survival skills in this usually inhospitable environment. Learn how scorpions and roots are used for medicinal purposes as well as hydration in the desert." I've already seen the photos and watched videos, so while I'll observe, I won't partake of scorpion!
  • Alan, the meerkats will eat as many scorpions as possible!
  • edited September 2018
    AlanS wrote:
    I'm glad you noticed the small print : ) Have a great trip. We go next May and I can't wait.

Speaking of creepy crawling things, on Day 7 at Camp Kalahari, you have the opportunity to take a "walking safari with the local San Bushmen, learning how they use their legendary hunting and survival skills in this usually inhospitable environment. Learn how scorpions and roots are used for medicinal purposes as well as hydration in the desert." I've already seen the photos and watched videos, so while I'll observe, I won't partake of scorpion!

On our trip the Bushmen (and women), some of which spoke perfect English, did not produce any scorpions. They did all the rest of the stuff. Really nice friendly people. The “rock game” was fun to watch.

Presently watching the sun set over Yosemite. No Tauck people at the ‘Majestic’ today (Ahwahnee Hotel). Spectacular views and weather. For those who have not been, Yosemite is a spiritual experience. And very popular .... end of September and ‘no vacancy’. Every camp site was fully booked, not to mention the hotels. To book the ‘Majestic’ they recommend one year and one day advance booking. We are at the Evergreen Lodge which is about 45 minutes from the valley floor ... also a spectacular venue, and something of an adventure to find. Sunset! (Not spam)
  • We have just returned from Yellowstone and The Tetons, also very busy.