Options

Interior Flight Luggage Restrictions

Tauck website explains that the interior flights are very strict as far as a roll-aboard carryon is concerned, only 11 pounds total weight. I have no problem with the 44 pounds for the checked bag. What's been anybody's experience taking a roll-aboard carryon for the interior flights on this trip? Was there a sur-charge as Tauck said if you were over the 11 pounds? My experience is that most roll-boards weight close to that weight without contents. Help!

Comments

• Options
    Are you planning for a trip to India, read this blog about the What not to pack on the carry on luggage
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Kay D wrote:
    Tauck website explains that the interior flights are very strict as far as a roll-aboard carryon is concerned, only 11 pounds total weight. I have no problem with the 44 pounds for the checked bag. What's been anybody's experience taking a roll-aboard carryon for the interior flights on this trip? Was there a sur-charge as Tauck said if you were over the 11 pounds? My experience is that most roll-boards weight close to that weight without contents. Help!

We are taking this tour later in the year. We never take roll on luggage, but very lightweight backpacks that weigh just ounces when empty. My latest one is a pretty black and white flowered water repellent fabric one with good padding and about five zippered compartments. It was from a Vera Bradley outlet and cost no more than $55 if I remember correctly. We are leaving for a Tauck tour in the morning and so for interest I just weighed my bag, all I have to put in now is my mini iPad. Without taking everything out, this is what I think is in there.—— two complete changes of clothing, plus some extra Safari type pants, I usually take a pair of shoes but not this time. A hardback novel I will read and ditch, bag of junk jewelry to wear. A big camera. My medicines. A crushable sun hat. I’ve gone blank on the other bits and pieces. I just weighed it and it is just under ten pounds, so it can be done. There are so many advantages to not taking a roll on. It’s much easier to run with a backpack, so often have to these days with a delayed flight. It can be easily put in the overhead rack on the plane, or Heaven forbid go under the seat if there is a luggage issue on the plane. And with my personal item, ie my handbag crossway over my shoulder, I have nothing in my hands.
  • Options
    I did this trip 2 years ago. My carry-on was a backpack containing laptop, toilet kit, plus odds and ends I didn't want to pack in the checked bag. I don't recall seeing anyone's carry-on weighed. Even though you probably never heard of the airlines you'll travel on, they are all commercial airlines using the usual planes (737, A320, etc.), so I suspect if it fits in the overhead, you'll be okay, but things can and do change.
  • Options
    We did this tour last May/June - you will love it. First comment - are you sure you read the weight limit correctly? It may well be in kilograms, with 2.2 pounds per kg. Many airlines show 10kg, which equates to 22 pounds. In any event, we did not see bags getting weighed, and none of the people on our trip had any problems with carryons. We were on A320's and B737's. No props or small commuter flights. Even regular checked baggage was not an issue. Mine pushed 50 pounds and there was no problem, and I don't think I was the only one. If there was any baggage fee due to weight, the luggage master took care of it and Tauck paid for it. You don't need to overpack - it was not uncommon to see guests rewearing the same stuff. The Yangtze River cruise was middle of trip, and it was easy to send the laundry out at a not unreasonable price. And it was done quite nicely. Enjoy your trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file