Options

Cell phones

Any cell phone crevice on this trip?

Comments

• Options

Cell phones work wherever there is wifi. Usually available in all of the hotel "lobbies" or food tents. Download "What's App" for free and you can text, call or even send photos. We just returned from The Great Migration and it was a fabulous trip!

• Options
    edited August 2019

No, cell phones do not work wherever there is wifi. Cell service may not work other than in Arusha and Nairobi. It depends on the service you have arranged and what is available where you are located. If your phone or tablet has wifi (which is Internet and a totally different system/technology than cell service) you may be able to use Skype, What's App, or Facetime, at least from the hotel lobby.

• Options

The main inconvenient with use of cell phones is the time difference between these countries and the US. Along with the restrictions that Tauck makes about making calls when the group is together, thank goodness, it makes it very impractical.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Most US cell phones won't work with the protocols in Africa. My son gave me the tip that you can use a Skype monthly subscription to call over wifi when it's available (I have an Android phone).

• Options

I was able to use my cell phone to call the U.S. from the Fairmont Mt. Kenya Safari Club. That was the only place I tried. I was able to text most of the time either using my phone or What's App.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file