Switzerland: Europe's Crown Jewel - September 4, 2020

Hi - I was wondering if anyone else will be on this tour next year? My mother and I were supposed to go in Sept of this year, but unfortunately had to cancel a week before the trip. I called Tauck yesterday about taking a different tour next year when I saw there was limited availability on this trip (that previously showed sold out) and we were able to get the last 2 seats on the tour!! Very excited - we are arriving a day early and extending a day at the end to go to Mt Pilatus. Hope to hear from more fellow travelers or if you've already taken this tour - any tips/advice is appreciated!! I already have notes from previous posts, but am always up for more! :-)

Comments

• Yes, that's the one we're on. We plan to use our gift of time at the front end too. Will try to arrive early enough that day to do a walking tour of the city. Then the next maybe a lake cruise. The Olympic Museum looks interesting. Kind of depends on the weather. After the tour we may head for either Zurich as a base or Schaffhausen (Rhine Falls) where my grandfather lived. Also thinking of taking the train to Paris and spending a few days in an apartment for some self guided touring.

Looking forward to the tour and meeting you.

• We visited Zürich on our river cruise this year and really enjoyed it.

• Claudia - that's awesome!! I look forward to meeting you, too!

I have to research some things to do for the early day, but definitely want to see Mt Pilatus at the end of the tour, which was our original plan if we went this past September.

• British, any recommendations of what to see and do in Zurich itself? The tour ends in Lucerne on Monday morning and Tauck transport is to Zurich airport (though I could probably get them to drop us in the city at a hotel or the main train station). Was thinking we could spend the rest of Monday touring Zurich, Tues take the train to Schaffhausen, Wed more Zurich, then fly home Thursday. I'm thinking 1 1/2 days in the city is sufficient.

• Claudia, will have to look at my notes, will try in a couple of days, looking after grandson all weekend and just about to retire.

• Hi Claudia, looked at my photos overnight. Our tour of Zürich with Tauck was just a few hours including a guided walking tour and a walk around on our own. So no time to look into the numerous museums that Zürich has. But there was plenty of time to see all the interesting buildings, get a feel of the ambience of the city, enjoy the Tauck lunch in an historic guildhall, stroll thru the food market, take photos of the old bath house, go up to the I think monastery up on the hill for a great view of the city below, walk down the fancy shopping street and buy chocolates in the most famous chocolate shop. You could easily do all this in a day, but according to Fodors Zürich, any museums will add a half day each. If you are going on a Monday, be sure any museums you want to see are not closed. Will try to post photos

• Thanx British. Good reminder about Monday museum hours. It might be better for us to head to Schaffhausen then back to Zurich. Great pictures!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file