luggage

What is the weight allowance for the flights to Kruger and then Victoria Falls?

Comments

• This is from Tauck's information specific to this trip.

Special Luggage Restrictions for this Tour:
    Checked luggage aboard the on-tour flights to and from Johannesburg and Victoria Falls may not exceed 44 lb (20 kg).
    In addition, guests are limited to one soft-sided, carry-on bag per person not to exceed 15 lbs (6.8 kg), and no larger than an average knapsack.

We were on this trip two years ago and several guests were over the limit. Our TD had good rapport with the folks at the ticket counters on both ends and no one had to pay extra. That is no guarantee it is still happening. Some people stored part of their luggage at the Joburg airport or hotel if staying a few extra days in Joburg and travelled a bit lighter to Victoria Falls.

We had a fantastic time and wish you the best.

• What do people think is the best carry on ? Travel Backpack?. Which brand, how large? Going on this trip next October, doing my research!

• I have been very happy with my Eddie Bauer 30 Liter stow away backpack. My husband has one too. We have used them on a few trips, including to Africa, Iceland/Norway and Australia/New Zealand.

• Alice S - We use eBags.com. Our travel agent recommended the bags a few years ago and we love them. We each have a backpack, a carry on, and a checked bag. We decide what bags to take based on the trip. We have used them in Africa, Israel, Australia, and Ireland. You can store and separate lots of items. Think about watching a youtube video. Recommendation: What we have done on previous trips while flying Business Class since you are allowed 2 bags is to take the empty duffel bag (gotten from the K&T trip) inside the checked bag and on the return trip use it as a second checked bag to store all the dirty clothes from the trip and any other items that are inexpensive. That frees up space in both the other checked bag and the carry on for souvenirs etc. We brought home a hand made rug from Africa and amazing gifts from Israel and Jordan that way. When you get home you know most everything in the Duffel gets washed. We will doing that again when we go to Romantic Germany on our next trip where there are plenty of great remembrances to buy.

• We checked the Eddie Bauer site and those back packs are on sale. I bought two and am going to try them. We are also going on this trip in Sept 2020

• Thanks Virginia_Travelers. I’ve bought from ebags many times. Which would you suggest? I was looking at the etech 3.0 carry on travel backpack . . What do you think?

• Alice - it is certainly personal preference. It looks like what we bought is the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible backpack. We bought a red and a blue. Check it out on youtube to see if that's the size you prefer.

• Virginia_Travelers, 3:07PM, Alice - it is certainly personal preference. It looks like what we bought is the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible backpack. We bought a red and a blue. Check it out on youtube to see if that's the size you prefer.

Flash deal on that one on eBags right now- reg. $149.99, now $79.99

• Virginia- are you concerned that the TLS isn't waterproof? I was also looking at the Osprey. When are you going? We're on the 10/20/20 trip.

• Alice - not really. It's still your choice. Either way ebags are great! We aren't going on SA trip. We did K&T July 2018, Israel and Jordan October 2018, Best of Ireland July 2019 and have Romantic Germany July 2020 and Australia (Tasmania and Kangaroo Island) Feb 2021 scheduled. We took our eBags Checked Bags and Carry-On Roller bags to rainy cooler Ireland this past July and had no problems!

• Thanks!