Jan 9 Portrait of India

I am a solo traveler arriving early for the Jan 9 Portrait tour and am wondering if there is anyone else who might be interested in doing some independent sightseeing, perhaps booked through the Leela Palace concierge, on January 8.

Comments

• We are going February 18. Please review your trip and give us any helpful hints. Thanks so much.

• edited December 2019

Nibrot, 9:41PM, We are going February 18. Please review your trip and give us any helpful hints. Thanks so much.

Nibrot I haven't done this trip so can't help you but the three threads/people you have asked for a review traveled in December 2018 and January 2019- a year ago! Once their trip is over, many travelers do not return to the forums nor write reviews (the review feature is still not working.) If you haven't already read the archives for this trip, do that first, then start a new thread and maybe someone who has traveled more recently will weigh in.

• We are planning to go February 12,2020 but any suggestions in light of the violent protests??

• Nibrot--India...the birthplace of civilization. I traveled on the Portrait of India tour December 2018-Jan 2019. It is a SPECTACULAR tour. One of my Tauck favorites. You will experience stark contrasts existing next to each other--extreme poverty and extreme wealth. Arrive with an open mind and be prepared to be pampered beyond belief. The Leela Palace and Oberoi hotels are over the top! Do your best to avoid "Dehli Belly" by drinking only bottled water, avoiding cold stuff (including ice, popsicles & ice cream) and absolutely NO street food--no matter how aromatic & tempting. If you get a chance try to venture out to the Spice Route and Indian Accent restaurants. The food is amazing and the artwork in the Imperial Hotel (Spice Route) is a must see. I arrived early and booked a private tour via the concierge. My guide gave me these words of advice when driving in India--Good Horn, Good Brakes & Good Luck!

You will exposed to so much. Take advantage of the downtime in Kerala. You will need it after visiting North India. The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful and the spa treatments are wonderful (best to book in advance when your tour Director provides a handout of the services a few days before you arrive). There were many many special moments but the two that will stay with me forever are witnessing the ceremonies on the Ganges River in Varanasi and seeing the majestic Taj Mahal at sunrise and again in full daylight...magical. Enjoy & Safe Travels!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file