K & T 2021

I think I have read most of the topics and postings in this area of Tauck forum. This year we are traveling with Tauck to New Zealand. I am planning Africa for 2021. I have decided on the Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari. I have read all your discussions abt how it is wonderful, regardless of the date you select. In 2021 they have one April and two May dates listed. Anyone comment on travel at that time? Also, I read that August is a very busy tourist time and that September is less so. Would anyone care to compare Sept/Oct in K&T? If you have a specific date that you think is the ultimate perfect date/time, I'd appreciate that thought.

Comments

• edited February 2020

I can't see that tourist activity changes much except being lower during the rainy season. The start, end, and length of the rainy season can be variable, but are generally available on a number of websites. There are two rainy seasons: March to May, and a shorter season in October and November. Personally I would avoid the rainy season and possibly shoulder months- rain can make travel on the bumpy, rutted dirt roads, difficult.

If you've read the K&T archives and Africa websites, you'll have seen two facts that cause the weather to be fairly consistent year-round. Both Kenya & Tanzania are high plains countries (mile high) so in addition to clear air, the air is thinner and the sun is more intense, and there is significant radiant cooling at night. Both countries are close to the equator which actually passes right through the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Kenya, so the temperatures aren't much affected by the seasons. As mentioned, there are wet and dry seasons however.

The great migration is continuous, but varies in intensity and volume by season and location. This info is available on Africa websites.

• Have been to K and T twice and Tanzania Zanzibar too. I was most recently on K and T on what should have been the end of the short rains. But rain had started early and was ongoing. Many areas, the bridges and roads were flooded out, we had to make detours. Several days were constant rain, days that really mattered it was dry like the balloon ride. We experience an incredible thunderstorm on one travel day, lightening struck just next to our vehicle with such a crack onetime, but saw a troop of elephants frolicking in the rain. Another day, we watched a mother cheetah and her five babies in the pouring rain and the mother make a kill. One extra walking Safari was in very muddy conditions. All in all, I prefer the dry season.

• Thanks for these two comments. Exactly the sort of info I was interested in hearing. Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file