"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #17

Good morning fellow Taucktourians!!

Previous winners:

Round #1 won by MCD and cvc
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of the Round Tower at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, UK. First photo shows Union Jack, second is the Royal Standard, indicating the Queen is on-site. Third photo is the chapel at Eton College, where Prince Harry and Prince William attended high school.

Round #2 (A) won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of tomb of the Mughal Emperor Humayun in Delhi, India. The tomb was commissioned by his first wife and chief consort, Empress Bega Begum in 1569-70.

Round #2 (B) won by BKMD and travel maven
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Photo of the what is variously termed the Royal Barge or Gangaur boat, a sort of water taxi, that was used to transport James Bond across man-made (1362) Lake Pichola to the "Floating Palace" or “Taj Lake Palace,” in Udaipur City, Rajasthan, India in the 1983 movie “Octopussy” starring Roger Moore and produced by Robert Broccoli (no proven connection to the vegetable.)

Round #3 won by travel maven
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of the Dohány Street Synagogue located in Budapest, Hungary. Benefactors- Tony Curtis and Helena Rubenstein.

Round #4 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by travel maven. It is the Chapel on Klimsenhorn, Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland, just outside Lucerne with nearby (Celtic?) cross. Once visited by Richard Wagner and Queen Victoria.

Round #5 won by Smiling Sam (we need to cut his internet feed!)
Submitted by Claudia Sails. Lions Monument in Lucerne Switzerland commemorating the Swiss guards killed in the French Revolution.

Round #6 won by BKMD
Submitted by cvc The high altar in St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta, Malta. cvc took the picture while on a Tauck's small ship cruise of the coast of Italy, making several stops in Sicily and then finished in Malta.

Round #7 won by JohnS
Submitted by Sandman. Anshun Bridge in Chengdu China. Chengdu is the home of the Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. Best of China 2013 tour.

Round #8 won by Sandman, bonus answer by travel maven
Submitted by JohnS. The village of Roussillion situated in the Luberon in Provance France in the heart of one of the biggest ochre deposits in the world. Roussillon is famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. The pictures were taken during our Tauck Savoring France cruise on the Rhone in May 2018.

Round #9 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. In the centre of the Plaza de España of Madrid is one of the most important monuments of Miguel de Cervantes of the City. The monument to Cervantes, who died on the 23rd of April 1616, was commissioned by King Alfonso XIII in 1915, on the 300th anniversary of the publication of the second part of Don Quixote. The main body of the fountain was erected in the 1920’s, but the full monument was not completed until the 1960’s, when the sculptures of Aldonza and Dulcinea were added on the side. This impressive monument stands behind a rectangular pool. The figures of Don Quixote and his squire Sancho Panza stand on the central pedestal inviting passers-by to gaze at them amid the bustling life of the city.

Round #10 won by Sandman
Submitted by BKMD. Bathroom humor- Super Toilet controller, Waldorf Astoria Bejing; Odyssey in China.

Round #11 won by your's truly. :)
Submitted by British. Rwanda, sights somewhere along the road from Kigali to Ruhengeri or the park to see the Mountain Gorillas on K&T+ R.

Round #12 won by Derek
Submitted by Smiling Sam. It is the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, built by the French in the early 1900s to house the Governor General of French Indochina. When the Vietnamese took power, Ho Chi Minh refused to live in the palace. He built what is known as his Stilt House on the same grounds to live in. He would only host dignitaries in the Palace. As Derek says it is used for foreign dignitaries. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand tour.

Round #13 won by Smiling Sam with assist from Moi
Submitted by Derek. View of the marshy Okavango Delta from the lobby/dining area of the Belmond Eagle Island Lodge (camp), in Botswana. The Fish-Eagle Bar is in the distance on the right. Zambia, South Africa, Botswana tour.

Round #14 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. Wieliczka Salt Mine in Wieliczka Poland, Southwest of Krakow. Last Supper carved in Salt. Berlin, Danube, and Krakow river cruise.

Round #15 No winner (AlanS identified the country)
Submitted by JohnS. Photo of a street ear cleaner, Delhi, India taken on the Northern India and Nepal trip.

Round #16 won by yours truly. :)
Submitted by BKMD. Patagonia tour. Photo of a soaring Adean Condor taken during a rather strenuous hike, arranged by Singular Patagonia Hotel, from a hill overlooking Lago Sofia a few miles outside of (nw of) Puerto Bories, Chile.

New players , please go to any of the announcements for Rounds #1 - #4 to see the rules.

Note: due to forum limits on post size I will eventually need to start with a clean (no prior results) announcement.

Round #17 is now open for a submission- submit as a reply to this thread. Ready, Set, Go!!

Comments

• Here is a quick one. The challenge isn't to identify the location, that's too easy. The challenge is to identify the person in the highlight circle.

• A bit of a strange one! Mrs. Smiling Sam? Robin Tauck? Some "legendary" TD :)

• Agree with Alan about Robin Tauck. How about the man in the middle of the front row? Is he another Tauck family member or the tour director?

• I thought it would be a change, since we've had a few on birds. I only did it, because as you guessed, it is Robin Tauck. She brought a group of 10-12 friends on our Greece and Turkey small ship cruise. The context was, in theory because it was the 25th (or some number anniversary, I don't recall ) year that Tauck had done that tour. I think it was probably just a way that she could write it off. But she and her group were nice. As a treat for the group, as part of the anniversary celebration, Tauck charted three "small" vessels that sailed down the Turkish coast a bit to a secluded area and the group swam off of the boat. The picture below is Robin diving off of one of the boats. You can kind of see another of the boats in the background. Consider this challenge closed.

• Add me to the guess for Robin Tauck. She was on the Savoring France cruise we took. I looked through my pictures but could not find any to verify this.
    The location is Hagia Sophia Museum in Istanbul but apparently we get no credit for guessing that.

• The gentleman in the middle of the first row is the Tour Director - Mike Furillo, who happens to be the son of a "legendary" USC sports announcer.

• Robin's husband (at least when the picture was taken, and possibly still now, no clue) Pete is the bald headed gentleman at the far right, looking at the picture, wearing sun glasses.

• edited April 2020

Well, how about that!!! I'm laughing and bending my arm severely to pat myself on the back!!! :D:D

Did you sail on the typical Gulet along the coast from Bodrum (when the tour still went there)?

I'm gonna grab a bite to eat then open the next round before yard work, ugh!

• Yes on the Gulet and from Bodrum.

• edited April 2020

Smiling Sam
    1:06PM

Robin's husband (at least when the picture was taken, and possibly still now, no clue) Pete is the bald headed gentleman at the far right, looking at the picture, wearing sun glasses.

Middle row, white shirt, tilted head? Factoid: The other, lighter and without a mustache, "Peter" Tauck, did, and still does, the voice recording for Tauck's automated phone answering system. Great voice.

• Yes, middle row, white shirt, tilted head.

• Must be different Pete(r) Tauck. :)

• AlanS - I believe Peter Tauck and Pete, that is/was married to Robin are different people.

• edited April 2020

I don't know if Robin is a Tauck by birth or marriage. If by birth as I suspect, she kept her family name.

• The Peter Tauck that you showed is Robin’s brother.