"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #21

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #19 was won by Kathy M and MCD
Submitted by BKMD. The courtyard of the Belmond Monasterio Hotel in Cusco, Peru. It was built by the Spanish in the late 1500s and is leased from the Vatican. For an extra fee you will be supplied with supplemental oxygen to help you handle the 11,000' + altitude. Several Tauck tours stay here while in Cusco.

Round #20 was won by Smiling Sam.
Posted by JohnS. This picture was taken atop the Astronomical Clock Tower. The Prague Astronomical Clock, or Prague Orloj, is a medieval astronomical clock located in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. The clock was first installed in 1410, making it the third-oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest clock still operating. The photo was taken on the Tauck's Imperial Europe tour which I believe now is called Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna & Prague.

Round #21 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• edited April 2020

It's been two hours without anyone kicking off this round, so even though this is just the 4th round since my last post I'll kick this one off.

It's a simple what is this a picture of and where is it? Could be simple or not. I'm not sure. Likely it will be.

• Looks like a Roman aqueduct, but I have no idea where. There built a lot of them.

• It is indeed a Roman aqueduct. Now you just have to determine which one. Not sure how hard that will be. If it is too hard then I’ll give some clues.

• edited April 2020

This one has a fairly distinct structure, sí?

• Pretty subtle clue AlanS.

• edited April 2020

Somewhere in southern Ohio, maybe? :D I recognize the apartment buildings.

• The clue to the location is embedded in AlanS 5:36pm post. Not sure what to make out of his last post.

• I found the answer in one of my neuroanatomy books - The Aqueduct of Sylvius.

• Isn’t the aqueduct of sylvius next to the obelisk that goes through the brain memorial?

Next clue - There are lots of Roman ruins in the city where the aqueduct is located.

• I am probably wrong but the closest thing I could come up with is the Roman aqueduct near Merida Spain.

• Bingo, Merida, Spain is correct. BKMD came up with aqueduct and JohnS came up with Merida.

AlanS's clue was the use of si (Yes in Spanish) pointing you towards Spain.

A few of the other ruins in Merida.

• AlanS's clue was the use of si (Yes in Spanish) pointing you towards Spain.

Also yes in Italian.

BTW, Sam, when I thought it was time for my joke, I thought of writing something about the brain oblisk being related :)

• An interesting thing to note in the picture of the aqueduct are all the storks nesting on the top. On our trip through southern Spain, we encountered storks in many locations. Some were nesting on top of chimneys at the distilleries in Jerez de la Frontera. Unfortunately, Tauck has modified the Spain and Portugal tour to eliminate Merida and Jerez de la Frontera. They now fly from Lisbon to Seville.

• I saw this same nest in Jerez. We also saw nesting birds in Evora, Portugal (before we crossed into Spain).

• edited April 2020

Saw stork nests in the Alsace region of France on our Rhine Enchantment tour last year year. These things can weigh 500 lbs and roofs have to be supported to handle the weight. Also saw storks in flight which was way cool.