Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #32

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 won by JohnS
Submitted by KathyM. The (formerly McDonald-Randolf) Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire, England. Episodes of the British TV show inspector Morse were filmed here in the "Morse" Bar and throughout Oxfordshire.

Round #30 won by Claudia Sails
Submitted by Sealord. Peacock Clock at the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Tauck’s small ship cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg.

Round #31 won by Smiling Sam (again!!)
Submitted by ClaudiaSails. Statues of Vikings(?) on the right bank of the Seine River at the Boieledieu bridge in Rouen.

Now, the question is were they truly "Vikings" or Normans which were actually "Northmen" or "Norsemen" and former Vikings? :D

In the list of historic events, let's not forget that in 1430 St. Joan of Arc, the patron saint of France, was imprisoned at Rouen in a tower that still stands and now bears her name. Tried and condemned for heresy, she was burned at the stake by the English in the city in 1431.

Round #32 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Where was this picture taken? Who are the people in the white suits? What are they doing?

• Options
    edited April 2020

It is in Mumbai ... which was Bombay when I was last there.

• Options

This is Mumbai India. These people in the white suites are lunch delivery people. They are called Dabbawala. We were in this exact place or pretty close.
    Per Wikipedia: The dabbawalas constitute a lunchbox delivery and return system that delivers hot lunches from homes and restaurants to people at work in India, especially in Mumbai. The lunchboxes are picked up in the late morning, delivered predominantly using bicycles and railway trains, and returned empty in the afternoon

• Options
    edited April 2020

Political canvassers or campaign workers (for the Aam Aadmi anti-corruption Party?) wearing Gandhi caps (with no printing on the side?) in Delhi or Mumbai, India? Either that or ice cream street vendors. :D Indian GruHub?

• Options

JohnS nailed it. Sealord got the place. AlanS was smoking his gangi!

The dabbawalas were the inspiration for the movie Indian Lunchbox.

• Options

Lunch delivery must be a pretty lucrative job in Mumbai.

• Options

I agree. They just flowed out of the train station with lunches and then passed them on to the bicyclist delivery men.

• Options

Smiling Sam
    1:27PM

JohnS nailed it. Sealord got the place. AlanS was smoking his gangi!

Now wait one minute- (1) they are wearing Gandhi hats, yes? (despite have no writing like the Gandhi hats of the Aam Aadmi party) and (2) they were in Mumbai or Delhi, and those bags could have held campaign literature (or ice cream :p ) so, almost two out of three isn't too bad? :'( Haven't been and Momma doesn't want to go.

• Options
    edited April 2020

AlanS - Too bad. India is amazing, with the range and variety of sights. Here’s an opinion based on my travels. There is more car horn honking in India than in anyplace in the world. In the cities, you can’t go ten seconds without hearing multiple car horns.

The hotels that Tauck uses in India are the best of any tour.

• Options

More than in Naples? or Manila?

• Options

I know the Tauck tours of India are very carefully guided. I worked for Air India for a year based in ‘Bombay’, so I have many stories. If I ever did a tour in India, I would definitely stick to the Tauck itinerary.

• Options

AlanS - The Oberoi Hotel chain is spectacular, as is the hotel in Delhi. Not sure about the hotels in Naples or Manila. You should look up the Oberoi hotels in Agra, Jaipur, and Udaipur.

• Options

Yes, the hotels are spectacular. We took the Spotlight tour. But the hotel in Varanasi was not, it was the best available , but not good quality. However, visiting Varanasi is definitely somewhere that should be on the tour. It is the one tour that took me weeks to get over mentally. Alan S, you have been on a couple of high Altitude tours that we cannot go on, so I envy You on that.

• Options

The hotels on the Northern India and Nepal tour were all top notch. Here is a picture from our room at the The Oberoi Amarvilas in Agra and a picture of the grounds at the back of the hotel.

• Options

Smiling Sam
    5:48PM

AlanS - The Oberoi Hotel chain is spectacular, as is the hotel in Delhi. Not sure about the hotels in Naples or Manila. You should look up the Oberoi hotels in Agra, Jaipur, and Udaipur.

I know about the hotels :) I was talking about the honking and traffic! :D

• Options

I haven’t been to either Naples or Manila, but I would guess yes. More than any city in China or Vietnam, Istanbul, etc.

• Options

We could use some dabbawalas during this COVID crisis!

• Options

The Dabbawalas were the inspiration of Uber Eats. 😎