"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #39

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 won by JohnS
Submitted by KathyM. The (formerly McDonald-Randolf) Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire, England. Episodes of the British TV show inspector Morse were filmed here in the "Morse" Bar and throughout Oxfordshire.

Round #30 won by Claudia Sails
Submitted by Sealord. Peacock Clock at the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Tauck’s small ship cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg.

Round #31 won by Smiling Sam (again!!)
Submitted by ClaudiaSails. Statues of Vikings(?) on the right bank of the Seine River at the Boieledieu bridge in Rouen.

Round #32 won by JohnS with assist from Sealord
Submitted by Smiling Sam. This is Mumbai India. These people in the white suites are lunch delivery people. They are called Dabbawala and part of a lunchbox delivery and return system that delivers hot lunches from homes and restaurants to people at work in India, especially in Mumbai.

Round #33 won by Smiling Sam and AlanS
Submitted by SueMS. Le Cordon Bleu cooking school, Paris, learning to make Macaroons under the guidance of Pastry chef instructor Éric Verger. It was at the beginning of the Savoring France Rhone River cruise, which started in Paris. Then we boarded the TGV train to Lyon for embarkation. Oh. and we got to keep the aprons and hats.

Round #34 won by rwilso15
Submitted by MCD. The memorial at the killing fields in Cambodia. Full of the skulls and bones retrieved from the mass graves. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos tour.

Round #35 shared by AlanS and Smiling Sam
Sumitted by BKMD. Tesla Supercharger charging stations at the Al Manaseer gas station along Hwy 15/45 (Desert Hwy) between Petra and Amman, Jordan. Jordan is one of only two, UAE being the other, middle east countries that has Tesla infrastructure. Seen on Tauck's Israel and Jordan trip.

Round #36 won (tie) by Smiling Sam and TravelGuy
Submitted by JohnS. This is Athabasca Glacier on the Columbia Icefield in Alberta, Canada. The pictures were taken last year on the Tauck Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park Tour.

Round #37 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. La Fenice (“The Phoenix”) Opera House in Venice. The history of the theatre (and Venice society, etc.), the 1996 fire that destroyed it, and its reconstruction were chronicled in John Berendt’s best selling non-fiction book “City of Falling Angels.” A metaphore for sure, but the falling angels referred to the sculptures that fell from the structure of the theater and nearby buildings during the fire.

Round #38 won by JohnS
Submitted by Smiling Sam. The Cisterna Bazilika/Basilica Cistern, Istanbul, Turkey - 1963 James Bond film "From Russia With Love"

Round #39 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

I'll take the next one:

What is it?
Where is it"
What is significant about it (i.e. what luminaries are associated with it)?
and most importantly, why are there bleachers in this photo?

Comments

• How about the Basilica of Santa Croce, in Florence Italy.
    The Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) is the principal Franciscan church in Florence, Italy, and a minor basilica of the Roman Catholic Church. It is situated on the Piazza di Santa Croce, about 800 meters south-east of the Duomo. The site, when first chosen, was in marshland outside the city walls. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, the poet Foscolo, the philosopher Gentile and the composer Rossini, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie).

• Here was my photo of the place.

• The Basilica of Santa Croce

Florence

It is significant because there is a Star of David at the top (the architect was Jewish). Also, from Wikipedia: It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, the poet Foscolo, the philosopher Gentile and the composer Rossini, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie).

Basilica di Santa Croce is played there, hence the bleachers for spectators.

• Smiling Sam beat me on the post.

The reason for the bleachers is for people to sit! :)

For three weekends in June the city celebrates its Renaissance heritage through this crazy sport with twenty seven players on each side. A bit more brutal than rugby, think of this as a mixture between bare-knuckle boxing, a costume party and football.

• Sam - I think you need to turn off your computer for a while :)

• BKMD - I've already gone for a 4 mile walk in the national forest nearby, filled the car up with gas, taken the trash to the curb and back into the garage after pickup. I was totally out and about and missed challenge 37 this morning. :)

• The tomb carvings in Santa Croce are fabulous!

• Gas? How can you need gas when you click Refresh every 5 minutes on this site? No time to go anywhere :)
    BTW, I missed round 37, too.

• Actually, refreshing much more often than that. You got JohnS, AlanS, MCD, yourself who are all lightning fast. I know, it's sad. Doing take out in about an hour so that'll be the next break in the action. B)

• You all are fast. I missed Rounds 37-39. :/

• Since I spent several years as a professional computer geek, I am thinking about writing a script to automate a refresh and send me a text when a new round is posted. B) I decided against that since it would take too much brain power right now. I think many of us are spending way too much time on the computer. We will probably continue to do so until this lockdown is over.

• I just had to do another 'honeydo', put some anchors into the wall on each side of the bed for the new lamps that my wife bought. Happy wife, happy life!

• edited April 2020

In addition to those mentioned above who are buried there which also include Lorenzo Ghiberti (builder of the famous bronze doors to the Baptistry) or just immortalized there like Dante Allegeri (his sarcophagus is there but he is actually buried in Ravenna), Marconi, Fermi, Da Vinci, etc., the other other "luminaries" I was searching for were those involved in the design and/or decoration of the basilica and its 16 chapels- numerous frescoes by Giotto (who also designed the Duomo bell tower), the reliefs by Donatello (not the TMN Turtle :D ) that decorates the south nave wall and his "farmer" crucifix, various works by Taddeo Gaddi (a student of Giotto) and frescoes and stained glass by Agnolo Gaddi, design work by Brunelleschi (designer of famous Duomo dome), Georgio Vasari (designed Michelagelo's tomb)- quite a list of Renaissance notables.

I'm not an art fan but found the Classic Italy tour one of Tauck's best- ranks right there with the best of the best!!