Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #43

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #40 won by Travel Guy
Submitted by SueMS. Oberammergau, Germany Passion Play Theater wardrobe worn by the actors in the Last Supper scene.

Round #41 won by Travel Guy (again)
Submitted by Sealord. View of the Gibraltar airport from one of the Rock’s many tunnels. Britain claims sovereignty over it. Seen on Spain & Portugal or Treasures of Spain & Portugal.

Round #42 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by AlanS. Photo of Skellig Michael island, County Kerry, S.W. Ireland taken from shore during the Ring of Kerry drive. The small, steep, rugged and difficult to access island and the well preserved ruins of a Gaelic Monastery built between the 6th and 8th centuries were a location in three Star Wars films. Best of Ireland, Small Groups tour.

Round #43 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Who is this person?
    Whereis he located?
    What is unique about this area of the country?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Don't know exactly, but want to register a guess before I research. Maybe in the Italian Dolomites, WWI Italian fortifications, Italian soldier wearing WWI uniform w/WWI rifle. Maybe somewhere outside Cortina. The area is extremely rocky and has many tunnels and revetments. Fighting was terrible with high death count on both German (Austro-Hungarian) and Italian sides (over 10,000 on the Italian side) due to wounds, hunger and cold- many died of extreme cold alone. The remains of 9,707 Italian soldiers are buried at the nearby shrine.

Or maybe not?

• Options

MY reasearch didn't pan out anything, however I'll say S. Tyrol - the piece of Italy where German is the primary language.

• Options

Alan,

You hit it on the nose. the interesting part is that while this is in Italy, the uniform is from the Austro-Hungarian side. While the people lived in what is now Italy, most fought on the A-H side. This is a copy of a uniform that his grandfather wore during the war. There are a whole series of fortifications in the mountains that went back and forth between the two sides depending upon who had won the most recent battle.

The fortification here has a museum inside showing the conditions during the war.

It was really cold in the winter. Here's an example;e of what they wore.

Some more inside pictures of the living quarters.

Here's one showing some of the extracurricular activities they engaged in

• Options

Go for a walk and miss the whole round. That said I did see a coyote and a bobcat on my walk.

• Options

Been there! I was just checking the uniforms and was about to check the A-H ones because I couldn't match the Italian one, when you posted Some Italian head gear had feathers, but the plume thing was not in the center, but I would have gotten to it! :D I just looked now, and didn't find an exact match but did see some A-H caps with black w/white plume, but the illustrations and photos were not real clear. Who knows whether the guy was mixing and matching. It appears they had many different caps and cap devices- (Looks his has a black banana with a dead white mouse :D )

We visited that museum! Tours now spend and extra day in Cortina and I think get a more extensive tour of the battle areas.

• Options

Which tour was that? On our Alps tour in 2011 (which has been changed and renamed) we spent a day in the Dolomites. I loved that area!

• Options

This was the Alps and Dolomites tour. We spent two nights in Cortina. We went up into the mountains to see the fortification and museum before going to another area where we had a talk over lunch from a local who has climbed the tallest mountains on all continents (or at least six of them) before walking through some of the fields. His grandfather is shown in a memorial in the town square in Cortina.

• Options

We were on the old Ultimate Alps & Dolomites in 2014. The last part of the new one is quite different (see below). We only spent one night in Cortina and only went to Davos and the nearby little village of Monstein in Switzerland, but got to see Neuschwanstein! I would like to see a combination of both tours. The stretch of Dolomites between Cortina and Bolzano was truly incredible!!!:

The Dolomites in the background look like a beautiful mural!

2014:

2020: