Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #84

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #76 won by SueMS
Submitted by Sealord. It is one of two 3500 years old Egyptian Sphinxes portraying Amenhotep III wearing the dual crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. They were originally from a temple in Thebes but are now located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They arrived in 1830. By the time the initial purchase proposal made it from the Embassy in Cairo to Nicholas I of Russia and then to the Russian Academy of Arts, both had been sold to a French buyer. As a result of the French Revolution, Saint Petersburg got the sphinxes after all. They can be seen today on the waterfront in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Round #77 won by Portolan
Submitted by JohnS. Women’s rolling latrine (a Tauck special?). Bandhavgarh National Park, India. Nepal and Northern India tour.

Round #78 won by TravelGuy (with a “tsetse” assist from others)
Submitted by connorlaker. Flag used in E. Africa to attract (and kill) tsetse flies. Photographed on?

Round #79 No winner!!
Submitted by Kathy M. Kayaking from the Barcelona Olympics in La Seu d'Urgell, Spain in the Pyrenees west of Barcelona, not too far from Andorra. We stayed there during the Paradors of Northern Spain trip.

Round #80 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. City surfing the Eisbachwelle on the south side of the English Garden in Munich, Germany

Round #81 won by AlanS with extreme help of hints from Sue!
Submitted by SueMS. The medieval town of Oingt in the Beaujolais region of France . Oingt is listed as one of the most beautiful villages of France by one trade organization. Pictured- an organ grinder playing a paper roll barrel organ also known as a orgue de Barbarie ("Barbary organ" a corruption) seen on the Savoring France river cruise. It was part of the day 4 itinerary in late May 2018.

Round #82 won by rwilso15, BKMD, and AlanS
Submitted by sidecar. Heart Island and Boldt Castle (in the trees) and the Power Station (waterfront). Taken during a luncheon boat excursion through the Thousand Islands section of the St. Lawrence River on Day 3 of Canada's Capital Cities plus Niagara Falls tour.

Round #83 won by Portolan with assist by AlanS
Submitted by connerlaker. The (hollow) copper sculpture 'The Buddhas Within' was made and donated to the museum by Satish Gupta in 2016. There are 1,500 small sculptures of Akshobhya Buddhas on the inside of the large head of Buddha located on the grounds of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly Prince of Wales) Museum in Mumbai, India. Photographed during the Portrait of India tour.

Round #84 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

What building has this for a garden and a famous painting on its wall?

• Options

Belvedere Palace in Vienna.
    Painting: The Kiss by Gustav Klimt

• Options

JohnS is correct for both questions!!!!

• Options
    edited April 2020

Been there twice, once on a Tauck tour (Imperial Europe).

• Options

I was on the Danube Reflections tour so we are legal.

• Options

The Palace from the front.

• Options

Looks a little like my pic:

• Options

Did you also have to hang out a window to take it?

• Options

Yes

• Options

Forgot to add The Kiss

• Options

When I was there, Munch's The Scream was on display. The Kiss I just don't get.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Not being much into art, I had never heard of Gustav Klimt nor knew of his art until we saw the 2015 biographical drama, "Woman in Gold," staring Ryan Reynolds and Helen Mirren. The movie portrayed the nearly 10 year legal struggles of Maria Altman to get back a Klimpt painting of her aunt, Adele Bloch-Bauer, now known in Austria as the "Woman in Gold" that had been seized from her family by the Nazis during the Anschluss before WWII and was now in the Belvedere. The true story was actually about five Klimt paintings that were eventually recovered from the Austrian Government in a case that went all the way to the US Supreme Court and decided by an Austrian panel of three arbiters in Vienna. (The Altmans made a harrowing escape from Germany, leaving behind their home, loved ones, and property, including jewelry that later found its way into the collection of Hermann Göring. Many of their friends and relatives were either killed by the Nazis or committed suicide. Altman's husband spent time in Dachau)

Altman eventually sold Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I to cosmetics heir Ronald Lauder for $135 million ($171 million today), setting a new mark for most expensive painting (since surpassed). It is now on display in a New York gallery established by Lauder. Five months later, Altmann sold the companion Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II at auction (bought by Oprah Winfrey) for almost $88 million ($112 million today), then the third-highest priced painting. A share of the money earned through the sale of the five pictures ($325 million) was used to found the Maria Altmann Family Foundation, which supports the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust and other public and philanthropic institutions. Altman died in 2011.

I just thought it was an interesting story.

• Options
    edited April 2020

When we saw the Klimt paintings in Austria, I really liked them. I went to one of the tacky tourist stores and bought a cheap fabric handbag and umbrella with fabric of the KISS on them. Mr B just could not understand why I needed another bag, but I like lightweight bags as this one was. It was cheap. Whenever I use it, people rave about it.
    When we were on the Patagonia tour, there was a craft market just down from the hotel in Buenos Aries, I bought a shoe last that had a hand painted Klimt painting on it. I love conversation pieces.