Options

Another Travel Show - Delicious Destinations

Found another show to watch on the Food network. The shows are about half and half US and foreign cities. Watched a few (Porto, Paris, etc) then found that my Dish system would let me watch on demand the entire series so I found the one on Albuquerque. It was spot on with our food favorites here. In fact most of it filmed at the Owl Cafe - famous for their Green Chili Cheese Burger - a place I've eaten dozens of times.

If the food where you travel is an important experience then I recommend this show.

Comments

• Options

kfnknfzk
    There is nothing better than NM green chili...as long as it comes from Hatch, NM!

There's a long-standing rivalry between NM and CO on that. Personally, I'm not a big green chili fan, so I can't support either state as the winner.

• Options
    edited August 2020

NM and only NM chili. And yeah, it's in season available right now. The roasters are fired up.

• Options
    edited August 2020

I assume in all of the above posts you are referring to the pepper and not the meat dish, correct?

There's a chain restaurant in Tucson - Blake's Lotaburger whose claim is a Green Chile burger. Here's their little promo for the Hatch Chile

Expertly seasoned & seared Premium Angus Beef patties, tangy pickle slices, a perfect layer of mustard & fresh lettuce, onion & tomato all between two lightly toasted buns? Did I mention exclusively packaged, 100% Hatch Valley grown Green Chile that’s registered by the New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Just curious on the spelling. I found the following, but not sure about it.

There are many accepted versions and the dictionary lists the main three: chile, chili, and chilli. However, the term "chile" with an "e" is considered the correct way to spell it according to die-hard hot pepper fans. They believe "chili" only refers to the meat dish while "chile" is the pepper.

Claudia - You seem to prefer chili - Is that the accepted form in NM?

• Options
    edited August 2020

Honestly, you'll see it both ways here and yes people will endlessly argue it. Photo below of a can of Hatch with it spelled chile and a recipe page from a local cookbook with it chili. To be proper, if you are referring to the meat stew it's "chile con carne" and if it's the pepper (red or green) it's just chili or chile.

Fyi, Blake's Lotaburger is headquartered in Albuquerque started by Blake Chanslor a Navy vet back in the 50s. My very first real job was at one of the locations here. Worked there for 2 years and was asst manager. I credit that job with my getting a college degree. Wanted to make sure I never had to work in the food service industry again.

• Options

Claudia - you referred to a photo, but no photo appears.

Here are some photos for you. At least per Hormel, chili seems to refer to the dish, no mention of carne (which means meat in Spanish). Some of the Hormel products have meat and some don't but they call them all Chili. Likely just marketing.

I think you aren't alone with your experience in food service and college degrees.

• Options

Sam - I don't think dog food is a good example. :)

• Options

I sense a defamation lawsuit on the horizon!

• Options

BKMD - Here are some Colorado treats for you! :D

• Options

Oops. I'm having a day.

• Options

Sam - I wonder if that's Colorado River Salmon...

• Options

BKMD - They live right next to the Rocky Mountain Oysters. :D

• Options

The first buy of the season. Future Chili Relleno casserole.