A possible interim treatment before we have a Covid 19 vaccine?

edited October 2020 in General

Here is an Interesting article about the BCG vaccine. I’ve rewd about this a few weeks ago too. In the Uk, everyone got the vaccine as teenagers. We moved to the US just before our son was due to have it, but my husband and I and my daughter had that vaccine. It seems we would need a booster. I don’t think it has ever been a routine vaccine in the US.

BCG: Can a vaccine from 1921 save lives from Covid-19? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54465733

Comments

• The first smallpox vaccine was in 1796!

The down side of BCG is once you get it, a skin test for TB will always be positive, so if you need to be tested for TB, you'll need a chest xray, etc. And if a Covid vaccine is really just a few months from approval, by the time BCG production is ramped up, it will be moot.

• edited October 2020

Yes, you are correct. Our daughter has had to have chest X-rays numerous times because of Drs being aware of it in the US. The BCG Vaccine gives a clear little bump scar that shows you have had it.

• I've traveled with Tauck several times and enjoyed each trip but this is the first time that I've posted in several years. I often enjoy reading about other people's travel experiences and have been a reader of this forum for some time.
    I would like to defend Drs in the US for their hard work, compassion and dedication. I don't believe this forum is the place to air all of one's complaints about the country one lives in, one's job and how many or how few weeks of vacation one gets, one's political preferences, etc etc. Some of this is very negative talk and doesn't add to good and interesting travel discussion at all. Perhaps a review of the rules of the forum is in order.

• Thank you, kfnknfzk. I see what you mean. Well at least the poster changed her post from "ignorant US doctors" ( rather negative I would say) to something more positive. Best wishes

• Yes, I changed it because the word ignorant is bot negative in my context but you misinterpreted it.