Options

Akureyri

Akureyri is the 'Capital of the North' in Iceland. It is Iceland's 2nd largest city. From what I saw, and heard it seems like the city that I would want to live in if I were to live in Iceland and didn't have to worry about making an income. In the summer the temperature is warmer than Reykjavik (it was almost 70 when we were there). It the winter it is colder than Reykjavik, but it is the hub for Icelandic skiing (BKMD - I thought you'd want to know). We visited Akureyri on Day 4 of the tour, along with Godafoss and Myvatn Nature Baths (this was one of the highlight days with respect to sights). Here are a few photos.

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the tip, Sam. I haven't night-skied since I was in my early 20s and in winter, it's always night-skiing there.

Conversely, it's always light in summer. I don't know if they still do it (it's been 20 years since I've been to Iceland), but they had a golf tournament that started at midnight on the summer solstice in Akureyri.

• Options

Not sure about the golf tournament, but we saw several golf courses. I was surprised by how many we saw.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Was that your ship in the background in the 2nd and third photos and behind the ladies in the 4th?

• Options

AlanS - Yes, that is our ship in the background

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file