Hidden Galapagos & Peru vs. Peru & Galapagos Islands

We are thinking of going to the Galapagos and noticed that Tauck has two trips. One is 15 days and the other 16 days. We have traveled with Silversea to Iceland and had a wonderful time. We are thinking of going in 2023 as there is very little availability for 2021. Any suggestions? We are leaning toward the Hidden Galapagos.

Comments

• edited October 2021

Galapagos and Peru are night and day different, both good but way different. Peru is more about architecture and ancient history, while the Galapagos is all about the unique marine and wild life. We did the combo, one week in each. The Galapagos portion was on the Isabella II. For me, the smaller the boat the better ( smaller crowds ), which means I vote for the opposite tour.

• We just booked Peru and the Galapagos on Isabella II for 2023. We also considered Silversea but (a) the dates weren’t open yet and (b) we couldn’t really justify the $4,000 cost difference. The Peru portion of the tour is virtually identical. I’m sure either tour is great and we are looking forward to it.

• Smiling Sam and Dottie D,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and input.

Noreen
    Tucson

• edited May 2023

We just returned and don’t regret at all our decision to go with Isabella. The ship was older, and I’m sure nowhere near as nice as the Silver Origin, but it’s just seemed to be right for our group. Only Tauck folks were on board (31 of us). The food was quite good. Three choices for each course + a vegetarian option. Service was great. No real bourbon in the bar, only Jack Daniel’s. That’s one of my favorites anyway, so okay. I believe Noreen is not quite back yet, so I’ll be anxious to hear her comments. There were a couple of hotel differences in Peru, I think, but we were very happy with all the Belmont properties we visited. Superb. Excursions, I expect were similar between the two ships.

• Dottie D - We returned last night very late in the evening due to delays in DFW airport.   It was a long day.   We absolutely loved the Silver Origin.  It was one of the most luxurious ships we have been on and we have travelled with Sivlersea four times.  There were only 13 Tauck people on board so it was a very small group but very congenial and we all got along well.  There were only 61 people on board including Tauck and Silversea which really surprised us as we were expecting a lot more.  Crew on board the ship was 90.   The food, excursions were exceptional!  More later!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file