Britain’s historic homes

edited December 2021 in General

We just watched the first episode f a series that is new to us….I took a screen shot of the details

The first episode was in Highclere castle…..yes the Downton Abbey place!

Alan S, there is a segment which shows old film of Howard Carter and Lord Caenarvon when they discover Tutankhamen’s tomb. They also showed a museum in the house basement with replicas of many of the objects found in the tomb, including the famous golden mask! I believe it is open to the public along with the House tour.

Here are the details. PBS

Comments

• edited December 2021

Supposedly, there was a cabinet hidden in the walls at Highclere that contained some authentic antiquities- once discovered by the next generation, I believe they were returned to Egypt.

I've been watching a bunch of videos of Giza, Saqqara, etc. etc. by an Aussie vlogger+ - great stuff, but he is a bit of an 'ancient aliens' kind of guy. His evidence, analysis, and logic are quite compelling however, though you only hear one side. Extremely interesting just the same.

His videos really make the point that we won't even be able to scratch the surface of places to see on J&E!!! So much to see, so little time.

+If anyone is interested Google UnchartedX and look for his YouTube channel.

• Yes, the secret cabinet was mentioned

• British
    We just watched the first episode f a series that is brew to us….

Is that a British expression, with which I'm not familiar, or a typo?

• Whoops, must be the drink talking 😂😂😂😂. I have a naughty iPad

• OK. I did a google search on the phrase before posting and came up with nothing. :)