Douro River cruise bicycle excursion

Has anyone taken the ‘bicycle excursion’ on this cruise? Wondering how strenuous it is. Thank you for your comments!

Comments

• I took the other Douro River cruise and although I did not partake in the bicycle ride, I was informed by fellow travelers that the route was flat and followed the bank of the river.

This is a wonderful and very picturesque tour. Enjoy!

• I haven't taken this cruise yet but Tauck gives a big hint in the itinerary, "You have the choice to take a bicycle ride (for experienced cyclists in good physical condition) through the Vinho Verde region . . . ."

I know that is subjective, but . . . .

A Tauck contractor will provide a guide(s), excellent bikes, and likely a chase vehicle for those who overestimate their ability or have bike or personal issues, so you really don't need to worry.

I did the 42 km (26 mi.) bike ride along the Danube several years ago- I don't bike, I swim, so I "trained" for a few months before the cruise. We had a group of about 20- a peloton of jackrabbits sprinted out ahead, the tail-end Charlies were far, a mile or more, behind. I, by myself guarded the middle and lost sight of both groups towards the end. Two bike guides continuously circulated from the lead group to the tail-enders, which included one of our TDs, to check on everyone. One possible difference- we biked on a mostly-level, smooth, asphalt, trail along the banks of the Danube- no cars. I don't know if it will be that way in Portugal, but you never know until someone who has done it weighs in.

I saw this in one article, "This region is challenging for road cycling: all the roads by the river are flat, but once you start moving away from the Douro, it’s all uphill. You can easily climb from 1000m to 2000m accumulated meters in 40km which can be challenging for the more inexperienced cyclists, but the tarmac is just in great condition and the average incline is medium."

Here is a link to bike routes along the Duoro: https://www.allaboutportugal.pt/en/articles/10-routes-for-a-bike-ride-in-the-douro

• Alan's probably right about the "experienced cyclists in good physical condition" hint. We did one of the rides on our Danube cruise - Wachau Valley which was described as a "leisurely bicycle ride" and it wasn't too bad. Mostly flat until the turning point in a tiny town called Weissenkirchen where we had to go up hill to the town and were rewarded with a break and a free cold drink.

Before the cruise we were asked to say which Pre-selected excursions we wanted but that wasn't the last chance to make a choice. Once the cruise started the TDs gave us additional information and the opportunity to change our minds. They just like to get an estimate of how many may be considering various choices. Though they've always carried bikes on the ships, for these excursions I think they generally contract it out.

I hope more people who took one of the Douro cruises last year and those with early in the seasons dates this year will give us some reviews and comments. Since last year was the first Tauck was able to conduct the tours and then only a part of the season with tours that weren't sold out, our database of experience is small.

I'm curious about the excursions choices in Porto.

• edited January 2022

The excursion choices in Porto (for the Lisbon and Madrid tour) are either a walking tour of the city or a tram ride, boat ride and gondola ride. We opted for the latter having done a Porto walking tour on a previous Tauck tour. Both are very nice tours but the gondola ride was our favorite due to its length and the scenic views it affords.

Itraveler - Just to clarify, Tauck's comments on bicycle riding are boilerplate statements. They expect you to be able to ride a bicycle at a leisurely pace for this tour. There are no chase vehicles. There are no steep inclines. This is not the Tour de France. The rides will be tailored based on the input and fitness levels of the participants. I stand by my comments that on the particular tour I was on, my fellow travelers reported that they had a very leisurely ride. I hope I have been of some assistance. Best wishes. Please be sure to post a review!

• We were on the tour in October -Lisbon to Madrid. We chose the Vinho Verde bicycle tour which was one of our favorite things on this trip. We traveled on a former railroad track that was recently converted to a bicycle path that went through beautiful countryside and vineyards. (a very wide path) Afterwards, we walked to a local pub (with beautiful views) where Tauck treated us to a drink and special dessert. My husband and I are not cyclists and we had no trouble keeping up with the group. This was a leisurely bike ride with many stops along the way. We had three guides with us as well as a TD. One of them always stayed at the end of the group in case anyone needed assistance. The bikes are fitted to each person according to their height. You get a helmet, water and snacks to have along the way. There are storage baskets to keep your belongings in. It was a great excursion, not to be missed!

• I forgot to mention that there is a van with the bicycle trailer that stays close in case anyone gets tired or decides they don't want to ride anymore. So you have an option to ride in the van at any time:)

• Mimi, thanks!! Though older and slower, maybe I'll bike again if we do the Douro cruise

• I'm so pleased to read this thread about cycling along the Douro. I am scheduled for a June departure. During Tauck's Taste of France Rhone cruise I cycled solo on two occasions (late afternoon free time) using a bicycle from the ship. Both times I was fortunate to have flat hard surfaces... quiet village streets or a busier bike path in Lyon. This was also the case in Avignon on the group bicycle excursion. However on the excursion that began near Les Baux, using a contractor, there were times that we were on large gravel/rock (2 to 3 inch pieces!) or dirt. Our guide was excellent and suggested we get off and walk our bicycles if we felt unsure. If we didn't maintain a good speed, the tires would sink and get stuck between the large rocks/gravel. Fortunately most of the excursion was on pavement or a packed dry dirt path, providing a more stable surface and enjoyable excursion. Getting to cycle through the quiet countryside provided a nice change.

• Thanks, Mimitravels, for validating my comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the Douro as much as I did!

• Ouch, 'validating' another bite to my tongue!

• Thanks to all of you for your comments. Our trip starts April 5, 2022.. excited!

• Have a great time, ltraveler. I look forward to your review.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file