Options

COVID Testing- changes

It is easy to understand the confusion over COVID testing requirements for travel. A few days ago I noticed that the Tauck homepage banner no longer includes the date of update, but, instead says, "LATEST TRAVEL UPDATES AND TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED DAILY)" Since we are scheduled to depart in a few weeks, I have been checking regularly anyway.

I just looked at the J&E entry requirements. For entry into Jordan, Tauck now only lists:

• Proof of COVID vaccination,
  • Jordan Declaration Form (w/QR code),
  • Proof of valid health insurance.

A COVID PCR test 72 hours prior to departure and another one upon arrival are no longer listed, so I dug a little deeper.

The CIBT ENTRY GUIDE at Tauck's link still shows both tests are required- so more digging.
UPDATE: The following sentence has been added to the paragraphs for both test requirements: "Effective 1 March 2022, the [pre-departure or on arrival] test will no longer be required."

The Royal Jordanian Airlines website still shows both tests are required.

The US State Department website Travel section has no new information

However . . .

The US Embassy in Amman website says: "Effective March 1, 2022, the Government of Jordan will no longer require travelers to Jordan to take a pre-travel PCR test nor a PCR test upon arrival."

The Embassy FAQ's confirm that:
"Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, until February 28, 2022. On March 1, 2022, travelers will no longer need a COVID-19 test for entry."

Also, the instructions at the top of the "current" Travel to Jordan Declaration Form - Arriving by Air (not the one in Tauck's sample) now begin with, "- All travelers arriving before March 1st are required to bring a negative PCR test from the country of departure that should be done within maximum 72 hours prior to departure."

Unfortunately, we had to pay up-front when we booked our pre-flight PCR tests and the fee ($$$$) is non-refundable. I suspect the $29 ea. we pre-paid for testing upon arrival when we registered with gateway2Jordan for our entry form w/QR code is gone as well.

So much for trying to get things done early. :( At least we should be able to get through Queen Alia Airport a bit faster.

Comments

• Options

I can certainly sympathize with that. On our last trip the rules changed between the time we left our house and the time we arrived at our airport hotel. We also paid for an unnecessary PCR test because we could not get a guaranteed timeline for the results from our first one. Annoying as that was, the costs were a tiny part of the entire trip. These requirements are starting to crash all over the world. Even Maui no longer requires pre-entry tests. Pretty soon you won’t even need a test to go to Midway. (Atoll.) (;-)

• Options

It is quite confusing; we are travelling through Frankfort to get to Amman. United says we need a test in Germany; German health website says we don't!

• Options

Another reason why we cancelled our Israel and Jordan tour, because of the testing in Frankfurt. We changed our flights from Frankfurt, which were not the original flights we booked and Tauck moved them back.

• Options

We are flying via Istanbul to Amman, but don't need a test in Turkey, and now Jordan no longer requires a test before we leave the US nor upon arrival in Amman. United may have old info or have their own requirement, which unfortunately is probably legal.

It is like the PCR test Tauck says is required to exit Egypt, "For exit from Egypt, a negative PCR COVID-19 test result is required by the airlines to allow boarding." My carrier (Turkish Airlines), has no such requirement. However, since the US still requires a PCR or antigen test within one day of our flight home (I just verified this again on the CDC website), the so called "test to exit Egypt" will be covered.

• Options

That's why I book my own flights.

• Options

During these uncertain times, we have been using Tauck for our flights. We ask them to book the flights we want, but then they get canceled or changed, No money lost or hassle to get money refunded. Yes I know that doesn’t happen if you have air miles but we don’t have enough for businesses class to Israel

• Options

I admire those of you who have the patience to deal with the airlines directly. I just like the one-stop-shopping aspect that Tauck provides.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file