Options

We are on the May 9 Rhine, Alps, Amsterdam northbound tour! Getting excited!! Anyone else?

Hi, all!
I am getting excited for our upcoming tour (and having a terrible time focusing at work - oops!).
I am travelling with my husband and my parents. This will be our third Tauck River Cruise together.
There are so many things I am looking forward to: getting to the top of Jungfraujoch; the spa in Baden Baden, and getting the see the beautiful Rhine from the sun deck... even if it is not sunny!
See you all soon!
Abby

Comments

• Options

This was our first riverboat cruise and it did not disappoint. Yes, the sun deck is the spot to be for viewing the castles! Have a wonderful time.

• Options

princess-abby, we've done the Upper Middle Rhine twice - that's the short section with all the castles on both sides of the river. The first time was an Oct cruise when it was cool and overcast so we did the viewing from the lounge. The last time it was summer and the weather was nice enough to be on the Sun deck. In both cases we could really enjoy the view and hear the TD as he narrated what you were seeing. You can also hear the TD from your cabin but you've missing about half the view.

• Options

getting to the top of Jungfraujoch;

I did this cruise in October 2019 before the world changed. The primary reason I did it was because I wanted to go to the Jungfrau. Unfortunately we never got out of the restaurant and it was so foggy and snowy we couldn't see anything outside the windows. In fact they closed the entire operation mid-way during our visit, and rushed everyone off the mountain because of high winds. The local guide who was with us on the train said that in the 15 years she'd worked there, it had never happened. Figures!

I did the opposite direction from Amsterdam to Bern. Other than the disappointment about the mountain, the rest of the trip was great. I had actually done the middle Rhine on my first Christmas Markets cruise and I knew I liked some of the towns so I didn't mind going places twice. In fact I knew in advance where I wanted to go in Cologne and Rudesheim, so I didn't have to waste time on things I had already done. One of my very favorite places is Siegfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet (a museum of musical instruments) in Rudesheim. https://www.smmk.de/pages/en/welcome.php

I hope you enjoy this trip as much as I did. It was my fifth Tauck river cruise and each has been special in its own way. Looking forward to Rendezvous on the Seine this October.

• Options

Travelcrazy, that's bummer about Jungfrau. We lucked out with clear blue skies.

I loved the music museum in Rudesheim too. So fun. We were also treated to the gondola up the hill over the vineyards.

• Options

In 2017 we had the same misfortune as Travelcrazy with respect to Jungfraujoch. We could barely see our hands in front of us due to the dense fog. The train rides up and down the mountain made up for the disappointment, however.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file